networking mac and pc with firewire

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know how to network a pc using xp pro and a G5 using panther?

I thought this would be pretty easy but ran into some problems.

On the mac I assigned the firewire networking its own IP and I did the same thing on the PC with the firewire card.

After that I made sure that networking with firewire was enabled on the mac etc...

Tried to see each other and was a no go, any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by dage007

Does anyone know how to network a pc using xp pro and a G5 using panther?

I thought this would be pretty easy but ran into some problems.

On the mac I assigned the firewire networking its own IP and I did the same thing on the PC with the firewire card.

After that I made sure that networking with firewire was enabled on the mac etc...

Tried to see each other and was a no go, any ideas?

I've done this several times, on a few different Apple machines. It has always worked quite well for me. Sounds like you're doing it right. Double-check your IP configuration, cable, etc...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I've gotten Mac - Mac firewire to work now&then. It is not the most stable network and I have had a few kernel panics using it. If Mac-Mac networks barely work from this unofficial technology, I doubt a Mac - PC network would work well. But, by all means, surprise me! Than tell us how you did it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    well I basicly disabled all the firewalls on both mac and pc. Set up each firewire IP on the systems with same mask etc... and I cant even pind the new IP I assing the mac or the pc, so something is weird there. Not sure maybe it's just cheaper to buy a gig network card for the pc and go through a gig switch or somehting.

DD
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    try following the exact instruction at http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31112091634533

They have worked for me and my 12" powerbook G4