A few newbie questions that I'm pondering...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A few newbie questions that don't really seem to be hurting anything but they keep popping up:

1. When I do "get info" on my hard drive (internal and external), one of the options is to 'index' it. I think this means it makes like a list of whats on the drive so it makes searches faster but I'm not sure. And should I do this and how often should it be done.

2. I have an external firewire hard drive that I have added but when I went to do the "repair permissions" on it to make sure everything was fine and it said permissions are not set on this drive. My question is do I need to turn this on or is it OK to leave it off and how often should I do the permissions repair maintenance?

3. When I download an app from macupdate or versiontracker and its an update to an app already on my computer then do I just tell it to install the update at the location of the current application and it will overwrite/replace what it needs to in order to update the app or should I be doing something else here?

4. I have a sony cybershot digital camera and when I upload the pictures from the camera into iPhoto it names them something long like "2004-12-06-0032", is there a way to tell it to name them like 001, 002, 003 and so on?

5. Related to Number 4 ^ - I have about 200 photos in a folder that are named like noted above (2004-12-06-0032), is there a program that I can use to select all the photos and tell it to rename using a different format like 001, 002, 003 etc.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

rberry88

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    question 3 ; it rewrite. The latest version will replace the older one.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rara Posts: 623member
    1. If you index your hard dive that means it will make a database of sorts so that you can search the contents of text files.

5. A Better Finde Rename
  • Reply 3 of 6
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I believe that the filenames aren't changed by iPhoto, but set on the camera. (Mine are something like KIF_094.JPG)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rberry88rberry88 Posts: 30member
    Yeah, I realize the filenames are set by the camera but I wanted to know if there was an application that could rename them to something shorter.

For example, I upload 100 photos from camera into iPhoto and they all have the name "2004-06-21-0001" and they increment the last 4 digits with each one so the next one would be uploaded as "2004-06-21-0002" and so on. I want to rename them all at once but have them named "001", "002" etc. Instead of having to rename each one individually and manually.

rberry88
  • Reply 5 of 6
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    1. Indexing examines the content of files so you can quickly search within them. It doesn't do anything for normal "filename" searches. It takes forever to index a large disk, so I would only bother indexing specific folders whose contents you want to be able to search. For example, I have a folder of journal article PDFs which I indexed so I can do a quick PubMed-like search in the Finder.

4/5. Why do you want to rename them? If you're viewing them in iPhoto, you don't even see the filenames, and you can always add captions to them if you like. I don't see why you'd want to go from one arbitrary naming system ("2004-12-06-0032") which at least has useful information (date), is easy to sort, and has near-infinite unique namespace; to another arbitrary naming system ("001") which has no useful information and very limited namespace. You're also liable to confuse iPhoto if you rename things without then re-importing them.

I assume you're new to the Mac world, and used to organizing everything in your computer by hand. General advice upon making the switch to Mac: let the computer do the work. Let iPhoto take care of the raw files. Instead of wasting your time with filenames, use Albums to organize them. Similarly, let iTunes organize your mp3's, and use Playlists and Library Browse instead. Your files are still there in their original formats; nothing's happened to the data, and it's easy enough to find a particular .JPG in the Finder or make a backup of the whole library. But let the iApp do the day-to-day dirty work. That's what they're made for, and they're good at it. It's hard to let go - took me a while, too. But once you do, your life gets a bit easier.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    rberry88rberry88 Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

I assume you're new to the Mac world, and used to organizing everything in your computer by hand. General advice upon making the switch to Mac: let the computer do the work. Let iPhoto take care of the raw files. Instead of wasting your time with filenames, use Albums to organize them. Similarly, let iTunes organize your mp3's, and use Playlists and Library Browse instead. Your files are still there in their original formats; nothing's happened to the data, and it's easy enough to find a particular .JPG in the Finder or make a backup of the whole library. But let the iApp do the day-to-day dirty work. That's what they're made for, and they're good at it. It's hard to let go - took me a while, too. But once you do, your life gets a bit easier.

Thanks for the comments, that puts my mind to ease like you wouldn't believe. I bought a new iMac 2 weeks ago (1st time using a Mac) and can't shake the habits (now known as bad habits) from my time using a PC. I figure its better if I ask the newbie questions now before I develop any new habits in the Mac world (good or bad).

rberry88