Airport Express mini review

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
@ AVS Forums

There was a thread a few weeks about when the Airport Express (AXP) was announced and I pre-ordered it. Well I just got it and I have to say that I am pretty happy with it's performance. The AXP is a 802.11g wireless AP with and Audio Out jack that can be used in conjunction with Apple's iTunes 4.6 product.

I know a lot of people have issues with Apple's proprietary products, but I've recently purchased a new 12" Powerbook and started using iTunes since I was interested in seeing how it compared to the other Windows based music applications. I have to say that it's pretty nice and works very well. Now that I have the AXP I can stream music to my stereo and I basically use either my Windows or Apple Laptop as a "remote control" to control my music files.

It was very easy to get everything up and running, although I'm still trying to figure out how to configure the WPA wireless security on my Windows machine. But from getting the AXP hooked up to my cable modem and installing the software on both my HP and Apple computers and streaming music, everything was as smooth as could be.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to create a network between my Powerbook with OSX 10.3 and HP XP machines so that I can share folders. I'm new to networking, but I can't believe it's that complicated. Wish me luck. If anyone has any tips, please let me know. I don't want to create a network until I get WPA figured out for security reasons...

Anyway, I highly recommend the AXP if you're looking for basic wireless streaming of music. It does a lot of other things too, but as a basic wireless access point and music streamer, it's awesome. If anyone has any other questions, please let me know.

Sounds nifty. I'm going to need a Mac portable soon. Sound way too cool to sit on my couch and fire up tunes on the stereo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    no one says how far the range for the wireless internet is
  • Reply 2 of 7
    g4 mang4 man Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

no one says how far the range for the wireless internet is

The range on mine is about 150 feet.

Joe
  • Reply 3 of 7
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G4 Man

The range on mine is about 150 feet.

Joe

do you happen to have an airport extreme and can compare the 'range' of both?

• Reply 4 of 7
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    The express concerns me because it would be plugged in (at my house) very low to the ground. I don't know how that would affect my wireless range. So, I do not know if the express would be a great main router in my house, but I think it would be a great tool to extend wireless range by placing it in another part of the house and utalize the audio out at the same time.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

do you happen to have an airport extreme and can compare the 'range' of both?

In either case, the usable range for both at decent G speeds would probably be 50 feet or shorter.

Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

The express concerns me because it would be plugged in (at my house) very low to the ground. I don't know how that would affect my wireless range. So, I do not know if the express would be a great main router in my house, but I think it would be a great tool to extend wireless range by placing it in another part of the house and utalize the audio out at the same time.

That's why it comes with an extension cord, silly.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Does it come with the extension cord? I thought that was only available in that $40 Monster cable connection kit. Or hopefully, the extension cords from iBooks/PowerBooks will work.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    g4 mang4 man Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

In either case, the usable range for both at decent G speeds would probably be 50 feet or shorter.

Mine came with NO extension cord.

Joe