Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here

Comments

• Reply 21 of 484
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    ..but your protuding support for the new iMac would make the placement slightly akward
  • Reply 22 of 484
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Here are the back and side views of my model, above:...

What is that base made out of? It would have to be a pretty heavy base to counterballance the weight of of that display (with computer and drives included). Either that or you would need to screw it down to the desk.
  • Reply 23 of 484
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

What is that base made out of? It would have to be a pretty heavy base to counterballance the weight of of that display (with computer and drives included). Either that or you would need to screw it down to the desk.

The base is solid metal but would have to be too heavy due to the Y shape. The heaviest components like the power supply and HD can be in the bottom of the chassis. The spinning HD also acts like a gyroscope.

I think I'll modify the basic design a bit to include speakers. The breakout box can have a jack for an optional subwoofer.
  • Reply 24 of 484
    xterra48xterra48 Posts: 169member
    Patrik_L, thats not at all it, either that or you accidentally posted the wrong link. that beocenter looks like a dvdplayer
  • Reply 25 of 484
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

...The spinning HD also acts like a gyroscope. ...

I like this line, but to make it reality would probably add more per unit in R&D in both placement and design of the HD to fit the design requirements than the original retail price of the original iMac.

Quote:

The base is solid metal but would have to be too heavy due to the Y shape. The heaviest components like the power supply and HD can be in the bottom of the chassis...

The arm pivots at the base and at the "monitor" in your rendition. It is also relatively thin, so I doubt that it could be built heavy enough to counterballance the computer as you illustrate. Even if the HD and DVD were at the bottom of the monitor/computer the weight is still in that part of the computer, and would need to compensated for in the weight and design of the foot of the computer. Maybe if it were made of mercury, but that is impossible for many reasons.
  • Reply 26 of 484
    Here's an updated rendition with side speakers:

• Reply 27 of 484
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Extremely sleek mock ups of the new 'iMac'.

Yeahs. I can see that.

Anybody notice anything. But remember the 'Athens' concept PC from M$?

Yeah. Apple stealing a bit back from the Wintel boys that stole from iMac?

It looks like Apple are producing their own 'Athens' computer without the tacky side handle. (Anybody got a link to the 'Athens' concept to compare the 'look'?)

Of course, seeing Roland's mock-up I can now visualise even more what the iMac is going to be. It's a monitor/Mac. On a Studio display hinge stand.

Rid of the eclectic chrome arm. Nice but boutique.

You only need to adjust a monitor up or down. Not side to side. It's irritating to have something off centre horizontal anyhow.

Look at how many monitors have pants adjustable displays. Placky hinges...clunky and cheap...

Roland, the one thing I don't like on the above mock-up is the organice swoop feet design. Many LCDs have this 'spilt' plastic slick look and I don't like it. I like the definite alu 'foot' of the Apple Alu stand. And it looks drop dead gorgeous from the back!

Plus, if they have a standard foot component common to iMac and displays then it will save on costs surely.

I'm thinking more and more that the new iMac might be alu look. The alu look seems to be very popular on the PowerMac, PowerBook and X-Serve and iPod Mini. Cost can't be an issue judging by iPod mini.

I'd recommend the alu look for the new iMac and iBooks. And they can offer them in annodized colours as gimmicks.

Nice mock-ups, guys.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 28 of 484
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    what I don't understand ever from the introduction of the last iMac is this:

if the mac is the chosen platform for many visual artists...

then why didn't they build the display so you can swing it into vertical "portrait" mode ? ? ? ? ? ?

is it that too hard to implement ?

I really think they missed a chance on the last iMac and now again on the new displays....

am I the only one here? Hell I'm not even into graphics, I'm a sound engineer, I just think it would be really usefull for graphics professionals....

what say you ?
  • Reply 29 of 484
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I think the 'Breakout Box' idea is very, very cool.

Stevie boy seems to have one of his 'things' about swivel/portrait displays. I don't know why. The Original iMac was the receptionist's fovourite and that would be a useful feature for office use. The lampshade iMac was the obvious candidate but I just don't think they could get the engineering together. Maybe next time.
  • Reply 30 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Stevie boy seems to have one of his 'things' about swivel/portrait displays. I don't know why. The Original iMac was the receptionist's fovourite and that would be a useful feature for office use. The lampshade iMac was the obvious candidate but I just don't think they could get the engineering together. Maybe next time.

Perhaps putting it in portrait mode would make it too top heavy and make the thing instable and likely to tip over....

I could see that happening to the 30"

• Reply 31 of 484
    I like Rolo's 'less-wires' concept a lot. Reminds me of why Apple started the all-in-one iMac in the first place.

So that brings to mind a question. What are the odds that Apple will make a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse standard on this generation iMac? Are they still too expensive? The pics sure look sexier without cables.
  • Reply 32 of 484

A component copy and paste jobby.

Just some thoughts: ports hidden in the pedestal behind a door, sliders on the monitor for brightness and volume. Wireless everything else.

Where do the drives go? Man, you tell me.
  • Reply 33 of 484
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macinJosh

A component copy and paste jobby.

Just some thoughts: ports hidden in the pedestal behind a door, sliders on the monitor for brightness and volume. Wireless everything else.

Where do the drives go? Man, you tell me.

Nice design but I have a few comments:

There is too much wasted space around the edges.

Apple would not use those sliders for volume/brightness ever since that's already dealt with more elegantly in the OS.

I like the base but think they are trying to get away from running cables through the support arm so it wouldn't look quite as elegant as you have it depicted.

Just my comments, and that I envy you bastards for your graphic talents
  • Reply 34 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

Apple would not use those sliders for volume/brightness ever since that's already dealt with more elegantly in the OS.

I like sliders....

sliders make my stu look cool

sliders make my job look cool

sliders make me look cool

hell I guess I'm a slider kinda guy

bring 'em on!

hewever, I think they should be ribbon controlers like you see on synths..

way cool, way more apple....
  • Reply 35 of 484
    Before sliders, I was thinking touch-sensitive areas (like tall trackpads) on each side for volume and brightness.

Might still be cool, but I thought adjusting the monitor height/angle might lead to some goofiness with trackpads.
  • Reply 36 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by macinJosh

Before sliders, I was thinking touch-sensitive areas (like tall trackpads) on each side for volume and brightness.

Might still be cool, but I thought adjusting the monitor height/angle might lead to some goofiness with trackpads.

I think Apple likes to keep as much in the way of controls/switches out of sight as possible. I like the mockup you created and think it could look better if you ran the speaker grills from top to bottom and trim the excess border down a bit. If I wasn't so skeptical about the connectors on the base I'd say that is a great design .
  • Reply 37 of 484
    Quote:

Here's an updated rendition with side speakers:

Very nice design... kinda reminds me of one of those sharp (?) flat panel tvs... way cooler of course
  • Reply 38 of 484
    OK, here are my latest design updates, based on comments here. Metallic look, different foot, more like the Alu display line.

• Reply 39 of 484
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I'd love a mixture of rolo's display design (even with the mainboard ans processor in the display) and bancho's foot. I don't fancy the idea of a breakout-box.

The optical drive and maybe the harddrive should go into the foot, though, to get them into a horizontal orientation.
  • Reply 40 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

I'd love a mixture of rolo's display design (even with the mainboard ans processor in the display) and bancho's foot. I don't fancy the idea of a breakout-box.

The optical drive and maybe the harddrive should go into the foot, though, to get them into a horizontal orientation.

Props should go to macinjosh for the foot. I just happened to comment on it . I agree though, it is a nice concept and I'd go for it myself.