New 23" Cinema Displays are becoming available.

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    mefullmefull Posts: 3member
    All those pics look so damm amazing!

I WANT one.

I am curious on how many people have any dead pixels - and if you could take it back if it did.

Anyone know what the return policy would be on that. I guess a place like Fry's would have a no questions return policy, probably apple too?

Anyone know for sure?
  • Reply 42 of 75
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mefull

Anyone know what the return policy would be on that. I guess a place like Fry's would have a no questions return policy, probably apple too?

Got mine from the Apple Store, Cherry Creek (Denver). There are no dead or stuck pixels, fortunately. From what I understand, although I'm not sure they put it in writing anywhere, Apple will replace a display only if there are five total dead or stuck pixels or if there are three very close to each other.

I've been extremely lucky in that I've had seven LCD displays, including those on laptops and an iMac and not one has had any problem pixels. Must be living right, I guess.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    novablasnovablas Posts: 12member
    You know what was weird? When I first got this iMac, there was one dead pixel (or stuck or something) right near the middle of the screen. I couldn't live with it and I had only noticed it like 5 minutes after I turned the comp on. Somehow I had the idea that pressing on the screen in the affected area would work. Of course, it didn't... Even still I kept on trying and OMG, the dead/stuck pixel got fixed. Every pixel has been fine since then for 2 years.

This topic reminded me about dead pixels and I hope to God that my new 20" doesn't have any... I don't wanna try that pushing on the screen thing again.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    Once I found out it was using the LG/Philips panel, I wondered about the Benq FP231W which is the same thing. I work in a computer store here in Australia and can source it for wholesale pricing which makes it ~$500 Australian cheaper!

Plus it has better connections (DVI out of the box instead of buying the adapter for ~$200 Australian). So, in the longrun, $~700 cheaper!

I will post once I have it

• Reply 45 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by anthony256

Plus it has better connections (DVI out of the box instead of buying the adapter for ~$200 Australian).

No adapter is necessary anymore with the new Cinemas, if that's what you meant.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Very nice screens boys and girls... Curse you all !

*runs away sobbing dreaming of a 20 or 23 connected to his pbook*
  • Reply 47 of 75
    A small request for anyone with those new displays:

Would you mind taking some shots of it, but at an angle of about 45° to the side, and vertically, just so we can see their colour and brightness at those angles?

Thanks. m.
  • Reply 48 of 75
    fugimaxfugimax Posts: 31member
    Merovingian --

If I wasn't a little durnk right now I would...but I can tell you that the viewing angle on these things is great. Tilting at 45 right now and there is a *slight* drop in brightness...but color does not change at all. And the brightness drop really is *slight*...I should mention I have to turn DOWN my monitor because it's TOO bright on the high setting.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mefull

All those pics look so damm amazing!

I WANT one.

I am curious on how many people have any dead pixels - and if you could take it back if it did.

Anyone know for sure?

dude, you are in san diego

so just drive down to frys on aero drive or the one

in san marcos

they dont have the new displays as yet but i asked the manager about their policy & they dont make you run around in circles like the fashion valley apple store.

i dont think frys will let you open it prior but they will

take it back without the 15% restock bs

or do what i did the first time around

order from mac wherehouse (i got a 15" pbook)

ask them to check display prior to shipping

or else you can reverse charges if using a credit card

& refuse the pkg

yes its a superb display & since its a lot of dough

they shouldnt be any dead pixels on it

im suprised people let apple get away with such shoddy

customer practices.

however they will realize it sooner or later if they

try to make a serious push for the corporate business market

They make great products, now all they need is good service
  • Reply 50 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

A small request for anyone with those new displays:

Would you mind taking some shots of it, but at an angle of about 45° to the side, and vertically, just so we can see their colour and brightness at those angles?

Sigh. Work, work, work.

There is no variation in color or brightness unless you're at an extreme angle. This is a big improvement over my PowerBook display.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    I hate to sound needy but can you please keep the super awesome images of those droolworthy 23" displays coming? Even users of the 20" are welcome to post too!
  • Reply 52 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by JMoney

Even users of the 20" are welcome to post too!

Yeah, you poor folk with your measly 20", $1,299 monitors can post too!

Actually, I logged on hoping to see one of those...by the way, does the Apple logo glow and/or pulse on these monitors - in the first photo it almost appears so. I wondered if it was like the on-switch on the previous generation monitors.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Sigh. Work, work, work.

(cut pics out)

There is no variation in color or brightness unless you're at an extreme angle. This is a big improvement over my PowerBook display.

those desktops look like they go together for a dual setup--could you post them?

ps--i'll post my display pics soon
  • Reply 54 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by SerpentFruit

...by the way, does the Apple logo glow and/or pulse on these monitors - in the first photo it almost appears so. I wondered if it was like the on-switch on the previous generation monitors.

No, the bezel is brushed aluminum except for the Apple logo which is shiny aluminum. If there's a light source behind you as you look at it, the logo can appear as though it's lit. The only light on the display frame is the tiny sleep light which is on only when the display is asleep. It doesn't pulse like the sleep lights on PowerBooks and iBooks.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

those desktops look like they go together for a dual setup--could you post them?

Not sure what you mean by posting them. If you'd like to send email, perhaps I could send them to you directly.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Man...these things are sick!!!

Any rich person wanna donate money to the poor? (i.e. me)
  • Reply 57 of 75
    tusktusk Posts: 3member
    These 23" monitors look awesome. Thanks for all the pics.

How does everyone feel about the actual use of the monitors? Do you have to sit farther back? What about moving the mouse from one side to the other? I have been using an 19" CRT and was looking at either the 20" or 23" apple displays. Can't decide if 23" is too big.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    As long as we're talking about those flat panels, I have something of a newbie question. How do the USB and firewire ports work? Specifically, what is the interface between the monitor and computer?

With 2 USB and 2 Firewire ports on the monitor, are you only actually netting one extra port because the back of the monitor plugs into a USB and Firewire port on the back of the computer? Are these ports powered?

I hope this isn't a RTFM situation, but I remember looking at the Apple site and not seeing much info on how the setup works. Thanks.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    Other comments/questions about these monitors:

Comparison of Apple 17" LCD (first) with new LCD's:

Brightness 200 250+

Contrast 350 400

Pixel Pitch 0.258

viewing Angle 170 170

Its unfortuante the warranty is limited to one year unless you buy with a computer, in which case AppleCare can be purchased. For upgraders, this can be an issue at these prices. I have often thought that Apple needs to be more generous with product warranties to better compete with pc-makers.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leppo

With 2 USB and 2 Firewire ports on the monitor, are you only actually netting one extra port because the back of the monitor plugs into a USB and Firewire port on the back of the computer? Are these ports powered?

Yes, the display has a Firewire cable and a USB cable that plug into the ports on your PC. You actually have one less USB port than with the old displays.

I would be interested in knowing if there are powered USB/Firewire hubs in the new models (the hub in the old ones was powered but through the ADC power connector). Can someone with a new display clarify?