What System Do You Use?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So... i'm interested to see what systems everyone uses?

I currently have an Athlon 3000 based PC with 1gb of ram and a 128mb 9800 Pro, along with a 15" Powerbook with 512mb ram. Also have a Windows Mobile based HP H5550 Ipaq, but that doesn't get any use \

In the next year or so i'm going to replace my desktop PC. After using Panther on my Powerbook, Windows XP and associated apps just don't click very well anymore, and i really want a Mac desktop system.

Unfortunately i think i'm going to get trapped between the iMac and the PowerMac. The new iMac will have to have a nice amount of power and a very good graphics card for me to choose it. The low-end PowerMac provides everything i want, but at a price that is prohibitive unfortunately

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I have 2 Macs and 1 gathering dust pc.

1. Powermac G4 400 Mhz 320 mb ram running Jaguar

2. Powerbook G4 12" 1 Ghz 512 MB ram running Panther. Future system Tiger

3. Dell 350 Mhz P2 running XP 256 MB ram.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I have an upgraded PowerMac G4. And I think that's what you should have too. Apple doesn't want to sell a machine at a low enough price point that can be upgraded, so they sell crappy AIOs. Not that the iMacs are bad computers, but I wouldn't want to keep one for more than a little while, knowing I'd never be able to put any upgrades into it.

Anyway, my machine is like this:

PowerMac G4 Quicksilver

1.33 GHz G4 processor (originally 733 MHz)

1024 MB of RAM (originally 128 MB)

Dual 80 GB 7200 RPM hard drives (originally single 40 GB, 5400 RPM)

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card w/ 128 MB of VRAM (originall a GeForce 2MX with 32 MB of VRAM)

Pioneer DVR-107D 8x DVD burner (originally 12x CD-RW)

NEC FE791SB 17" CRT monitor, 1280x1024@85 Hz

Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

It is a monster. Even though it's "just" a G4, I've upgraded nearly every component. It's top of the line in many respects, and there is very little I could do to make it better. While it has cost me a lot of money, I'm proud of my machine and I enjoy using it tremendously. The good thing about upgrades like this is that you really feel a connection to your computer, like it's not just any old PowerMac, it's *YOUR* PowerMac. Plus, since you won't get nearly as much as you paid if you try to sell it, it forces you to hold onto it for a long time .

You can go this route with either an older G4 (just make sure it's a Digital Audio or better, so you get the 133 MHz bus speed and 4x AGP) or a previous generation G5. Obviously, if you get a used G5, you won't have to upgrade it very much (if at all) to bring it up to speed, but you will be able to upgrade it in the future. I'd say don't buy a computer with the express purpose of upgrading it right off the bat, because it tends to chew through your money. Get one that is in good shape and perfectly usable without buying much extra. My computer started its life as a dual 450 MHz G4, and I only got a slightly better video card and a new optical drive for it. The hard drives and RAM I carried over from my previous machine, and I just used the dual 450 as-is for a number of months. Later, I bought faster and better components for it, and eventually came across a Quicksilver 733 that someone was selling for really cheap. I bought it, moved all my upgrades into it, and put the older components into the dual 450 and sold it, so I ended up breaking even on a newer case and motherboard.

Used 1.6 GHz G5s are probably pretty inexpensive, and there are plenty of upgrades you can put into them if any component isn't up to snuff. The processor can't be upgraded (yet), but there are numerous video cards available from the higher end G5s on eBay, and you can always replace the optical drive or hard drives, or add RAM.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Starting college in a few weeks, my current rig is well....lame

766mhz celleron

384 mb ram

hp cdrw

still saveing for that 1.8 G5 dualy....
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I've got problems:

Work Computer #1: Dual 1.8Ghz G5

Work Computer #2: 12" PowerBook 867Mhz

Work Computer #3: WinBlows XP, 733 Mhz

Work Computer #4: WinBlows 2000, Dell laptop, 1.4Ghz

Home Computer #1: 17" iMac, 1Ghz

Home Computer #2: 14" iBook, 600Mhz

Home Computer #3: 14" 'Wallstreet' Powerbook, 400 Mhz.

iPod #1: 30GB

iPod #2: 40GB

iSight x2

Airport Express

If Apple makes it, I buy it. I need help. Is there a support group I can join (or, is this it!)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

I've got problems:

Work Computer #1: Dual 1.8Ghz G5

Work Computer #2: 12" PowerBook 867Mhz

Work Computer #3: WinBlows XP, 733 Mhz

Work Computer #4: WinBlows 2000, Dell laptop, 1.4Ghz

Home Computer #1: 17" iMac, 1Ghz

Home Computer #2: 14" iBook, 600Mhz

Home Computer #3: 14" 'Wallstreet' Powerbook, 400 Mhz.

iPod #1: 30GB

iPod #2: 40GB

iSight x2

Airport Express

If Apple makes it, I buy it. I need help. Is there a support group I can join (or, is this it!)

your only "problem" you have is being n the richest 1% to afford all of that cool stuff

I will help, every time you think about buying another apple goody, buy me one!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    G4 Cube

1.4 GHz

1 GB RAM

120 GB HDD

128 MB Radeon 9000

23" Cinema Display

Apple Pro Speakers

Logitech MX310 - great mouse

At work it's a 2.53 GHz P4 with 504 MB RAM (?)