Printing from XP on a printer connected to ibook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Before my ibook, my hp 5100 printer was usually connected to my XP notebook. However, my hp 5100 printer is now usually connected to my ibook. Others in the family need to send a print job to the printer from the XP desktop. I have added the printer that is connected to my ibook to my XP machine printer list. The printer shows-up in my network places on the XP machine and everything. I can read all the files on the ibook, and I can read the files on the XP desktop on my ibook. Everything works great. Printer sharing is turned on for the ibook.

However, when I print from Microsoft Word on the XP machine, nothing ever pops out of the printer that is connected to the ibook. I am certain I am printing to the printer connected to the ibook. Both of the computers are on the same workgroup as well.

What is going on? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I'm still suffering from the same problem. Does it ever happen that you can't make a printer work like this? Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    bobwbobw Posts: 49member
    1. Go to System Preferences > Sharing and turn on the Windows and Printer Sharing options.

2. Make note of your computer's IP address while in there.

3. Find out what your printer's name is.

a. Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal.

b. Type (or copy + paste) "sudo cat /etc/cups/printers.conf" and press return.

c. Type your administrator password and press return.

d. Look for a line similar to this <Printer LaserWriter_16_600_PS>

e. Copy the printer name, omitting "Printer " and the surrounding angle brackets.

4. Go to the WinXP box and go to Start > Printers and Faxes.

5. Click the Add Printer link and follow through the steps as follows.

a. Choose "A network printer, or printer attached to another computer."

b. Choose "Connect to a printer on the internet..."

c. Type in a full URL constructed similar to the following one (BOLD means type the exact letters, plain text means fill in the blanks):

http://your.ip.from.step.2:631/print...e_from_step_3e

d. Go through other steps as required