LaCie PocketDrive vs CardBus adapter vs Wall St Powerbook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi.

I have a 1998 Wall Street Powerbook running OS 9.2 and recently acquired an unused (but maybe two years old) 20Gb LaCie PocketDrive for use with it. The PocketDrive comes with Firewire and USB ports, the Wall Street has neither, so I unearthed an old Macally CardBus USB adapter to provide the connection.

The trouble is, something doesn't work: although the PocketDrive power light is on and an icon labelled 'USB' appears on the desktop, the Mac doesn't recognize the PocketDrive.

I've checked the connections and tried restarting, without any improvement.

In case it was the adapter, I followed the instructions that came with the adapter, which told me to download Apple's USB Adapter Card Support software update from Apple's website. Apple's website however said "Mac OS versions 9.1 and later include a later version of this software. Installing USB Adapter Card Support 1.4.1 over Mac OS 9.1, 9.2 or later could result in the USB adapter card not working."

The adapter also says it's compatible with MacOS 8.6 or later, supports 32-bit CardBus interface with Type II slot, the USB OHCI and USB specifications.

Has anybody any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Sounds like it's the drive. Try the drive on another Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Sounds like it's the drive. Try the drive on another Mac.

Thanks - that'll be my next step.

However, as I don't have another Mac that's working at the moment, is there anything else you can suggest I try before I trot over to my local computer shop?