playing with aqua

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ok I'm new to this but where do I find information on altering OSX. Mainly the gui. Like changing boot screens turning off things that run in the back ground that no one uses; general cutomization tips. For windows its called blackviper.com. Obviously, windows needs it more than mac. but from reading the forums I now know that I should delete the langauge packs that pervade the size of osx. Where can I find information like that or does anyone like to tell what they know. Especially for the time being how do I change that boot screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by booradlly

Ok I'm new to this but where do I find information on altering OSX. Mainly the gui. Like changing boot screens turning off things that run in the back ground that no one uses; general cutomization tips. For windows its called blackviper.com. Obviously, windows needs it more than mac. but from reading the forums I now know that I should delete the langauge packs that pervade the size of osx. Where can I find information like that or does anyone like to tell what they know. Especially for the time being how do I change that boot screen.

You can launch Terminal.app. At the UNIX prompt, type top. Run down the list of tasks. Note PIDs of the processes that you don't want. Kill them.

Then please stay the heck off this forum when you screw things up.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ResExcellence has a bunch of stuff like that.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Like changing boot screens ...

What's a boot screen? Up 48 days and counting...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    (In response to Code Master)

Perfect, just what I was looking for. I knew it existed just couldn't find it.

(In response to Towel)

Anyway, assuming you really dont know what a boot screen is. Go to resexcellence to find out and then replace yours with one of the 50+ that are on the site to chose from.

This site rocks.

P.S. (In response to Mr. Me)

This site is for when people screw things up, and

if I left my Mac the way it came from the factory

I might has well have bought a windows.

Macs are meant to be screwed with. Thats why they made there core darwin opensource.

You must have been born after 1983...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

(In response to Towel)

Anyway, assuming you really dont know what a boot screen is. Go to resexcellence to find out and then replace yours with one of the 50+ that are on the site to chose from.

This site rocks.

Uh, no. He does. He was commenting on the fact that MacOS X is rock solid enough that the time between glimpses of the bootscreen can be measured in *months*.

Quote:

Macs are meant to be screwed with. Thats why they made there core darwin opensource.

I think you must have been a former Mac user before MacOS X... With the new OS, Apple locked down hard on themers. What you're finding with respect to theming is hard won, and still pretty fragile in many places. Apple specifically did *not* include any APIs to mess around with it, and things have changed on a pretty regular basis under the covers. Be warned... there's a good chance that *some* hacks may result in bad juju.

This is one area where Apple is maintaining a lock on the user experience, and maintaining it firmly. The rest of the OS and tools are blissfully tweakable, but the UI? Not so much.

Good luck though. Be sure to backup before starting.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

This is where I come from: In your original post in this thread, you clearly indicated you have not a clue about Darwin or MacOS X above it. Yet, you want to change the OS. You are certainly not the first person who believes that he knows better than Apple how to design MacOS X. Many before you have come to this forum and others to beg our help in fixing something that they screwed-up. Before you try to change things, you should first learn how and why they operate in the first place. Yes, indeed, Darwin is opensource. My guess is that the opensource nature of Darwin allows vendors to support hardware that Apple does not support for whatever reason. Darwin modifications may allow MacOS X to be installed on PowerMac 8100 or an old Mac clone. However, opensource does not imply that novice programmers are encouraged to wreck havoc to their own systems. You really have to understand what you are changing from to understand what you want to change to.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If you want to theme, ShapeShifter is probably your safest bet. That said, I highly recommend not theming OS X, because your themes often get messed up between patches. And plus, Aqua is pretty nice. The PC that I'm currently using is decked out with OS X look-alike crap, which shows how far PC users will go to get the OS X look.

-placebo
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member