New 23" Cinema Displays are becoming available.

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a10t2

I would be interested in knowing if there are powered USB/Firewire hubs in the new models (the hub in the old ones was powered but through the ADC power connector). Can someone with a new display clarify?

Yes, both the USB and Firewire ports on the new Cinema Displays are powered. My USB floppy drive which requires a powered hub works, as does my bus powered Firewire hard drive. It's true though, there is a net gain of only one extra of each port, since one of each on the computer is used by the display connections.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

It's true though, there is a net gain of only one extra of each port, since one of each on the computer is used by the display connections.

Yep, that's what I suspected. Thanks for your answers, guys.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    Woohoo... my turn to join the club!

• Reply 64 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by a10t2

Woohoo... my turn to join the club!

Looking good!

Is the 17" Studio Display the only model with such a black stripe around the panel? I have the 20" cinema and it doesn't have such a thing. Those 17" at my school have them.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maccaroni

Is the 17" Studio Display the only model with such a black stripe around the panel? I have the 20" cinema and it doesn't have such a thing. Those 17" at my school have them.

AFAIK they all have them. I know that the 22" ACD had it and I'm pretty sure the 20/23s did as well. It isn't actually black but metallic.
  • Reply 66 of 75
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    a10t2:

Where did you find that desktop picture?

Could you please post a link where I can downlaod your desktop picture.
  • Reply 67 of 75
    hi guys, congrats to all you 23" owners.

Mine is reserved for me at my reseller, waiting for the g5 2.5 to arrive. But I have a few questions, concerning the slew of posts from people complaining about a pink color issue on the new 23" acd.

I never saw one myself, until today, I checked out my reseller which had both of them on display (20" & 23"), and I first looked at the 23", didn't notice the pink effect, at least, I knew I was looking for pink stuff, so maybe I was a bit influenced, but when I went ahead and saw the 20", I must say it's quite a difference, especially viewable in the finder, with the metal borders. The 20" is perfectly grey, while the 23" is pinkish.

Though, some posters say calibrating it, and not using the default profile, helps solve the issue, while others say it comes back after a while.

I may go to the store again, and ask them to place them according to each other, and try to calibrate the 23" so it matches the 20". I hope they do that.

In the meantime, could you post your experiences with this issue?

thx!
  • Reply 68 of 75
    I have a question about the 23" displays. How long are the cables? If I wanted to put my G5 under my desk heresy I know and then mounted the display to a wall mount I have a fear the cables would be come quite constrained.

Thank you for any reply in advance.

Johnny
  • Reply 69 of 75
    justyjusty Posts: 15member

Sorry about the bad pictures. \ The 23" display is absolutely amazing! 8) It's so big coming from a 15" iMac @ 1024x768 I had to get use to sitting further back so I wouldn't drowned in the display.
  • Reply 70 of 75
    justyjusty Posts: 15member
    I found that you can place the display and tower about 4.5 to 5 feet away with the cable.. I wonder if you could get a longer one or an extender sense the cable is attached to the display itself? Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 71 of 75
    OH...MY...GOD... after seeing those pics... i must have one... i have never been turned on more in my life lol

guys i think you should just post as many pics as possible! and does anyone have a 20" display they can post pics of? if i get one im probably going to go wiht the 20 incher

• Reply 72 of 75
    They're wonderfull !

Does anyone have an idea how well the new 23" (and 20") compare to the previous displays in terms of color(accuracy) and brightness ? Are they (even) better suited for print then the transparant series ?
  • Reply 73 of 75
    The new ones are quite a bit brighter and I believe have a higher contrast ratio.

20" Old: Contrast Ratio = 350:1 Brigthness = 230cd/m2

20" New: Contrast Ratio = 400:1 Brightness = 250cd/m2

So the new 20s have a slight improvement.

23" Old: Contrast Ratio = 350:1 Brigthness = 200cd/m2

23" New: Contrast Ratio = 400:1 Brightness = 270cd/m2

So the new 23s have quite an improvement on brightness and a slight improvement on contrast ratio.. anyone care to explain the numbers?

They are all 16.7 million colors and have a pixel pitch of 0.258mm and a 170º horizontal and vertical viewing angle.

I remember looking at the old 20s and comparing to the 23s and the 20s were much brighter so I'm guessing 70cd/m2 makes a very big difference.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    |oh||oh| Posts: 1member
    oops... make boo boo
  • Reply 75 of 75
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Wow, blast from the past!