OS X keeps restoring defaults

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi, Im new to this site and just have one question for now.

I recently bought my first Apple computer to get away from that OTHER OS and its many troubles. Its an Apple eMac with 128Megs of RAM and a 1Ghz G4 processor. I was importing some mp3s into iTunes the other week and something funny happened. After I finished adding the music to my library i tried to listen to the new songs but they all kept playing "Gin and Juice-Snoop Dogg"(it was one of the songs i added to my library. So i closed iTunes and restarted my computer. Everything went well but when i logged in everything was reset to defaults. I had customized the dock and it was the same as it was when i first booted the computer. Also most of the songs i imported no longer worked in iTunes. The only songs that worked i had gotten off of Kazaa and the ones that did not work i got off of Limewire. Now, the funny thing is that all of these songs worked on my Wintel PC w/ iTunes. So why wont it work on my Mac? Do you think it is one of those fabled .mp3 viruses(never had one of those)? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Disk Utility > Repair Permissions
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Jambo: why not just tell him to "rebuild the desktop database"... *sigh*

Protostar: it sounds like your iTunes library might be corrupted. You might want to try moving the files (three of them on my system) out of ~/Music/iTunes/ and see if it re-builds them for you.

The other thing I would be careful of... if you fill up your boot HD MacOS X will start mangling preference files... and is sounds like you might have hit this limit. Always try and keep 15% of your HD free... The same principal applies to all OS's... they just have different failure modes.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Jambo: why not just tell him to "rebuild the desktop database"... *sigh*

I don't know what you mean by the sigh, but restoring permissions should be one of the first non-destructive tasks you should carry out when you are troubleshooting Mac OS X.

Quote:

Protostar: it sounds like your iTunes library might be corrupted. You might want to try moving the files (three of them on my system) out of ~/Music/iTunes/ and see if it re-builds them for you.

This will not "re-build" your iTunes Library, it will create a new empty one. You would have to add your music to the new Library. This should be pointed out to the end user before he assumes all of his music has been deleted.

Quote:

The other thing I would be careful of... if you fill up your boot HD MacOS X will start mangling preference files... and is sounds like you might have hit this limit. Always try and keep 15% of your HD free... The same principal applies to all OS's... they just have different failure modes.

Although what you are saying is correct, I doubt this novice user will have filled the HDD on their new eMac already.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    What I meant by the *sigh* was that repairing permissions very rarely solves anything... and becomes a magic incantation for people who don't know how to solve problems (defragging on windows, rebuilding the desktop db on MacOS 9). It seems that is exactly how you are using it.

And you can have iTunes re-import everything... unless you have a corrupt id3 tag this will solve the problem.