xBox2's Power* CPU information

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

"The probe was inserted approximately 8 inches into the rectum and held in place by tape applied to the buttocks."

Awesome, right? I didn't mean that part.

I meant going to space and being a monkey, not the probe thing.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Microsloth is stealing all our stuff that we should have been getting.

How do you know you're not getting it?
  • Reply 43 of 53
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

How do you know you're not getting it?

I just don't like reading what they are getting while we are in the dark. Maybe we will get it. Maybe not. Who knows... Steve Jobs knows.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I just don't like reading what they are getting while we are in the dark. Maybe we will get it. Maybe not. Who knows... Steve Jobs knows.

What will the xBox sell for, $299 US? What will future PowerMacs sell for, $1999 to $2999? Even Microsoft has a limit to how much lose they can tolerate on each xBox. The xBox simply must have reasonably low cost CPU. No, I'm pretty sure we won't see one of these in a Power Mac, but something like it might appear in an iMac or eMac.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

What will the xBox sell for, $299 US? What will future PowerMacs sell for, $1999 to $2999? Even Microsoft has a limit to how much lose they can tolerate on each xBox. The xBox simply must have reasonably low cost CPU. No, I'm pretty sure we won't see one of these in a Power Mac, but something like it might appear in an iMac or eMac.

I wasn't referring to that particular CPU. I was just referring to our multi cored double the Altivec 3GHz+ CPU. Or what ever it is we are hoping IBM decides to give us.

IBM would get so much street clout if they whipped out a stellar PowerPC processor for Mac's that just kicked @ss on X86 for a while, and we could get some 3rd party hardware, and software developers, and manufacturers interested in making some Mac versions of their products that parodied the PC side.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by D3ct

theres talk that apple itself is providing the chips because microsoft couldnt get decent yields or something of that nature.

Except for one thing...Apple and Microsoft are not chipmakers
  • Reply 47 of 53
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

A PowerPC chip does not necessarily run all the POWER instructions and a POWER doesn't support all the open endianness of PowerPC, this is part of what broke Virtual PC on the G5 since it actually is a POWER chip and not a PPC.

The endianness has nothing to do with it and the POWER processors have supported the complete PowerPC spec longer than most "pure" PowerPC processors have. Beginning with POWER3 the processor supported the 32-bit and 64-bit POWER ISA and the 23-bit and 64-bit PowerPC ISA. The 604 only supported 32 bit PowerPC so I guess that'd make it less PowerPC than the POWER4 since it lacked support for 64-bit PowerPC. In fact.. the complete *Star series of processors (Northstar, Pulsar, Istar and Sstar (RS64-I/IV)) supported the true 32/64-bit PowerPC ISA as far back as 1997. They were no POWER procesosrs though.

It's pretty obvious that IBM's using the Power name to include all POWER/PowerPC processors they are making now. The 405 is certainly no POWER processor but it is still a part of the "Power everywhere campaign". I expect that The Cell architecture will be placed under the Power brand in the future too. Sony is after all a recent PowerPC licencee.

Oh well.. What's new about this Xbox 2 rumors? Nothing! Except that the frequency have dropped from +3.5 GHz to 3 GHz. Stil to early to tell where it'll land. I guess that Microsoft will be in early or full production of the Xbox 2 this time next year. We are at 2.5 GHZ NOW and I fully expect that we will be at or past 3 GHz in a year's time. By "we" I mean IBM/Apple, and not IBM/Microsoft. If IBM are to manufacture a couple of million tripple core 3 GHz processors for Microsoft, surely they can do the same in substantially lower quantities for Apple. One could hope that Apple is able to pick the crumbs that fall of Microsoft's plate.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/care.html

OMFG...
  • Reply 50 of 53
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Wow there's at least one "Coog" who makes sense. Amazing ...he must be the Mayor of Pullman.

PS. For the record I'm an a Univ of Washington fan and detest seeing all the "coogar" logos on the license plates here in Western Washington.

Anyways back ontopic it looks like 2006 will be the battleground for XBox vs PS3 vs Nintendo's offerings. By then dual core 3Ghz+ should be commonplace.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

. By then dual core 3Ghz+ should be commonplace.

Good point. It should be. I'd sure like to see it ASAP.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:

Well that settles it.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Huh?

Got anything to back that up?? Last I read (little) about that is was some rumor posted to a blog or some such thing... Has anything new turned up that I'm not aware of?

Dave

Dual 2.0 G5, slight motherboard modification, doesn't boot OSX. Only really useful for low-level stuff right now, a lot doesn't work.

I'm being vague, on purpose.