Stepping in at the deep end...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, firstly i know there are plenty of 'powerbook purchase advice' threads but I'm finally getting ready to purchase my first apple after nearly a year's wait (I've made myself wait for one until i restart school after a 2 year hiatus), and wanted to make sure I'm certain about this.

I do have some questions which i'm hoping you all can help me with, plus if you have any advice for my situation i'd greatly appreciate it.

Ok, basically i'm starting as an undergraduate freshman and have my eye on a powerbook (not interested in an ibook, so please don't push me that way ) Because of my budget, i'm 99% certain i'm going to go with the base 12inch model (The size is ideal for portability, plus i'll look into a cheap lcd/crt for my dorm). At the moment, i'm not looking to upgrade anything, and am only interested in doing the ipod offer (I have a 20gb 3 gen but will sell on at a profit and keep my new 40gb!) and the printer offer (because its a free printer!).

Academic-wise, I will be completing core curriculum for the first year or so, but am looking to pursue a major in architecture or biology at the moment. I will be taking an old ibm notebook for compatibility issues, but i wanted to make sure that this model would suit my needs. Is that a fair assessment? Outside of schoolwork i generally only listen to music/browse photos or download unpurchasable music via p2p. so that shouldnt be a problem.

Although as mentioned i am looking at the base model with no upgrades, if anyone feels it essential i would consider. At the moment i will upgrade memory but at a later date, i didnt choose the hard drive upgrade because the 20GB extra space/faster rpm didnt seem justified (I'd rather buy an external hard drive for backup, plus i have an extra 20gb on my ipod now). I am also certain that i won't need a superdrive and $200 is a big difference. I don't think theres anything else to consider as a bto option.

Outside of that, i was unsure whether it would be worth purchasing the final cut express for $99 and selling it on. Has anyone had any experience with this? It seems like an easy way to make money (I have no use for it at the moment), but i'm unsure if there's a market.

Just before i complete this excited though nervous rant/query, i just wanted to emphasise that although i understand the advantages of paying out more so it will get me through college, i'm more inclined to upgrade biannually as i'm a freak for having the latest model. Hopefully powerbooks have a good second hand value (especially after edu pricing) so it shouldnt be too costly.

Thanks in advance for all your help guys! You can thank yourselves for inspiring another switcher. I would never have had the knowledge or reason to switch without reading this site for the past year or so.

Dan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Dan,,

You are right to want to add memory. Crucial.com is a good place to get RAM. I think you are looking at a fantastic machine. You do not know how much I wish I had purchased the powerbook over the ibook. I'm glad you aren't making the mistake I did.

Yep, browsing ebay, you will see the apples in general have a good resell value. Plus, you are getting a FANTASTIC machine. I really think you should be excited about your Powerbook.

Your final cut express question is a good one, but I do not know the answer.

The ipod $200 back deal is tremendous. Your plan to sell your G3 and get the rebate on your new G4 ipod is also a great idea.

I think you're all set.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ibook911, thanks ever so much for your response. i feel a lot better about it.

does anyone else have any advice, especially on whether i should purchase final cut express. it seems like a good deal but i have no need for it at the moment.

Just one further question which i havent been able to find an answer too. Apple's website states that, with the dvi/s-video adaptor, the powerbook can be connected to a compatible television so that dvd/s etc. can be viewed on a bigger screen. What i was wondering is is this any good for doing anything else with the powerbook (word processing etc)? I was planning on purchasing a crt/lcd for my dorm for use with the powerbook, plus a television to use with my playstation, however if there is a better option i would gladly go with it.

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Originally posted by your_ad_here

Just one further question which i havent been able to find an answer too. Apple's website states that, with the dvi/s-video adaptor, the powerbook can be connected to a compatible television so that dvd/s etc. can be viewed on a bigger screen. What i was wondering is is this any good for doing anything else with the powerbook (word processing etc)?

In my experience using a TV as a second display is always a bad idea. You're limited to 640x480 and the dot pitch means that text will probably be unreadable.

Regarding Final Cut Express, it looks like you might be able to make a few bucks - eBay search

It's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

edit: Pasting eBay links doesn't work...?