Short battery life on IPOD?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Yes, I know, I want to actually POST on these forums (without all the other crap my bro posted)...so, if you can accept my apology, i would like to get started.

Anyway, Im not much of a Apple person but my friend owns an IPOD and says that the battery runs out a lot. Like, every 5 monts, you have to buy a new one.

Is this true or is it bullcrap?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    the battery seems to be the only part that lives for me

I'm on my 6-7th ipod now. they just keep puttering out in my hands. The last one had a critical hardware failure, the hardrive made horrible noises.

let's see... the 1st had a hold switch that didn't work

2nd turned on for no apparent reason, even when it was just sitting on a desk, I turned it off, and put it on hold, it would turn on the next day

3. don't remember

4. case broke

5. fuzzy memory, something with the screen

6. I KNOW something weird happened, just what...

7. most recent, like 2 weeks ago, the hardrive died and made strange noises.

I've also had a powerbook die on me, and a lcd screen on the 2nd powerbook go weird. it's doing it again so I guess I'll pay apple another visit.

Obviously the people there know me now... at least the guy at the genius bar. All this in one year... wooosh!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

...death and destruction...

<Note to Self>

Never lend any Apple products to Ichiban_jay.

<end Note to Self>

You are like the grim reaper of the apple world
  • Reply 3 of 15
    yeah, I got my apple care worth

Seriously, if Apple or anyone needs beta-testers for their stuff, give me a buzz, anything that can go wrong WILL go wrong with me

I really do take care of my stuff... I lamented for over an hour when my powerbook got a 2 mm scratch on it, and nearly killed my friend when he placed it on a spiral notebook, and it slide down it, metal spiral scratching...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Wow. I'm on my 6th iPod and I thought that I was sort of, you know, special.

A trip down memory lane...

1st- battery wouldn't hold a charge

2nd- rainstorm, bicycle, iPod in pocket of waterproof jacket

(an interregnum here because this was my own stupid fault and I couldn't afford a new one)

3rd- stopped working (er, dropped)

4th- went weird, stopped working

5th- fell off bicycle (ie. dropped)

6th- beautiful thing continues to function.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    My wife has a 2 year old 10GB iPod. She uses it every day and no worries at all. I have an 18 month old 30GB iPod and I use it every day as well. No worries here.

Batteries hold up fine. Since replacements are now available I'm not all that concerned either.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    My biggest issue is the controllers. They do not like rain, that is for sure. 2 down at the moment. One set of earphones as well (my fault - like loud music)
  • Reply 7 of 15
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/

I had a first generation iPod, and it worked fine. I dropped it many times (even on concrete) and the thing just kept going.

I recently got a 3G iPod and have no problems with it either. No battery problems with either.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Wow. I'm on my 6th iPod and I thought that I was sort of, you know, special.

A trip down memory lane...

1st- battery wouldn't hold a charge

2nd- rainstorm, bicycle, iPod in pocket of waterproof jacket

(an interregnum here because this was my own stupid fault and I couldn't afford a new one)

3rd- stopped working (er, dropped)

4th- went weird, stopped working

5th- fell off bicycle (ie. dropped)

6th- beautiful thing continues to function.

hehe, I'm still on my first, original 5 gig iPod. bought it the day it was released. It's been woorking like a clock ever since. Although the batterylife seems to be getting shorter lately.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    THe first generation of iPods used a different type of battery IIRC, a nickel-based one, and it doesn't hold up as well over time. Newer ones are lithium-based, and they seem to get better about not only battery life per charge but ability to hold a full charge over time with each refinement.

AS far as durability, I just dropped my for the umpteenth time yesterday, and the case popped out a bit on its left side. The innards were pushed out about 1/32" on that side, and the screen and plug underneath were slightly out of line. It still worked but it was hard to push the hold button to its unlocked position, and it wasn't fitting well into its dock. I took a big chance and pushed the edge of the iPod down on a desk with all of my weight and the thing popped back into place. All is well now. The thing takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' as the motto goes.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I'm on my second iPod.

1st one: 2nd gen, someone stole it.

2nd one: 3rd gen, works great. I luv' it. 8)
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I dropped my first one (a 1st gen 5 gig thing, like New's bought the day they came out) each and every day and it kept comin' back for more. The new ones are bit more fragile, that's for sure.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    the hardrive on my 6th died because it fell... 4 inches! flat on it's back.. I don't even think that is falling.. but whatever the hardrive still managed to die.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    My original 5Gig is still runnin' fine. I get at least 3.5+ hours of constant play time.

_thedustin