XP SP2 - what a MESS!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Looks like Microsoft is going to pay a price for not taking security more seriously sooner.

article

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    As a 3 day user, my thoughts:

Pros:

Notibly faster system

cons:

1: Fire wall config comes up before login on the first boot, no admin access to do an admin function==a brand spankin' new security hole.

2: the fire wall is crap, it gets in the way and does nothing good, this could be a real pain in the ass for corperations who have server level filters and firewalls. and the default is on, The home default should be on, but for obvious reasons pro should default off, IMHO.

3: It fucked up my custom boot screen, returning it to default

4: as if there werent enough already, SP2 doubled the amount of baloon messages in the tray.

Reports are that IE is better, but i wouldn't know as I use mozilla and dont care to test IE.

but hey they are getting a little better, the next one may just be right on, 3rd time is a charm

BTW, don't windows threads belong in GD?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Yeah, they're finally starting to pay for years of incredibly short-sighted decisions. Oh well. I'm looking forward to a long rash of incredulous tales from our system admin, who's already butted heads with SP2 a couple of times...

Moving to General Discussion.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hhoganhhogan Posts: 117member
    Been using SP2 since M$ posted it for netadmins to download.

I happen to love the improvements they've added. IE is better, they got built in pop-up blocking. I know the google toolbar blocks most, but since I've gone SP2, the Google bar hasn't had much work to do, and adaware hasn't had to stop one pop up.

They also did work on Outlook Express. Images are now blocked from loading unless you say you want them to load. A feature like that will cut down on the amount of spam that happens for the time being.

As for the MS Security centre, I shut off their firewall because I use Zonealarm pro. So I can't really comment on that.

I've only had 1 program compatibility issue so far, and that was Nero. It said it might not run properly, but I loaded it anyways, and burned a couple of cds fine.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    In some ways, I'm glad they're willing to break stuff in order to have an "inwards facing" firewall, since so many problems are caused by spyware & zombie machines. It's not like this'll completely put an end to those sorts of shenanigans, but the less crap floating around, the better. They & their users might be suffering a little, but that's just what they've set themselves up for.

MacOS X still 0wnz j00 411!!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfryer

In some ways, I'm glad they're willing to break stuff in order to have an "inwards facing" firewall, since so many problems are caused by spyware & zombie machines. It's not like this'll completely put an end to those sorts of shenanigans, but the less crap floating around, the better. They & their users might be suffering a little, but that's just what they've set themselves up for.

MacOS X still 0wnz j00 411!!

it is only a matter of time if it hasnt already hapened that the zombies will be set to hinder in any way possible the successfull instal of SP2.

personaly the blame doesn't stop with M$, I also blame the OEMs for the spyware problem, they should have been bundleing more than a 30-day trial of nortan (see compaq) or even worse, nothing at all in the case of some OEMs, why over the past two years has a spybot/adaware program as well as a trogan scanner been bundled, surely the OEMs know of the problems that winblows xp has, cant they do more to protect the customers that M$ takes for granted?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Most of our updates ran fine.

Incompatability issues with a win95 kermit emulation (don't ask!).

Seems to be faster.

Still no way to stop friggin balloon messages.

Good effort from MS I say.

You can't change the world in a day, (well you can with a couple of nuclear warheads but I mean more from a software point of view).

Dobby.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ikaika Posts: 52member
    I'm getting it in tiny bits over the next really-long-time, so so far, I've only noticed a difference in the updater interface.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Here's a link that lists all of the problems fixed with SP2.

SP2 fixes