Installing OS X from an External DVD

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have an external DVD on an IMAC G4. It currently is running 10.1. I want install 10.3 via an external DVD (the imac only has a CD player on it). When I load the 10.3 DVD, it comes up fine. Then when I click on the install icon, it says it must restart. So, I click on the restart button. But when it restarts, it fails to pick up the next part of the installation sequence. It just takes me back to where I was. If I click on the install incon again, it again says it must restart and here we go again.

I have tried, without success, holding down the C button during the restart or from a fresh start and no luck. Is there another button I should press when dealing with an external drive. Or am I just totally out of luck and will have I have to get 10.3 installation CDs, as opposed to the DVD that I have?

Thanks in advance,

Brent

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Sounds like your external drive doesn't support mac booting, but try going to System Preferences and selecting the CD in the Startup Disk pane.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Good idea. I tried that, but it did not work. I think you may be right about the external drive not supporting Mac booting. It is a Pioneer, FWIW. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Brent

Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

Sounds like your external drive doesn't support mac booting, but try going to System Preferences and selecting the CD in the Startup Disk pane.

• Reply 3 of 4
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Hmmmm. I have a Pioneer (DVR-106, I think) but I installed it internally and it boots properly as far as I know. Maybe the drive won't boot externally?

You could check Accelerate Your Mac:

http://www.accelerateyourmac.com/

...to see if there's anything written up on your particular model.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by bmcraig

Good idea. I tried that, but it did not work. I think you may be right about the external drive not supporting Mac booting. It is a Pioneer, FWIW. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Brent

Here's a note that has been circulating regarding installation of OS X 10.4 Developer Release, that might be of some help to you even though you are trying to install 10.3.x

It sort of allows you to install without booting from the Installer Disk, but I'm not sure if it'll work in your case, but it might be worth a try. You will have to change a few things but you never know.

Take particular note of Item 4) then 5).

What you need to do:

1) BACK UP ALL IMPORTANT DATA!! This is absolutely the first step when

dealing with this kind of software. It will probably kernel panic and

take whatever data it was using down with it. So back everything up.

We're not going to wipe your current hard drive, but you never know

what might happen

2) Plug in your external hard disk (in my case, an iPod)

3) Mount the Tiger IMG so you have it as another disk on your system.

4) On the mounted Tiger disk image, look inside he

/System/Installation/Packages folder.

5) Inside that folder will be an 'OSInstall.mpkg' file - run it.

6) You will be presented with the usual OS X installer. When it comes

to choosing where to install, select the external hard drive. Go

through the rest of the installer as normal (you can choose not to

install certain non-vital components if you're limited in disk space).

7) When it is installed, open System Preferences and click on Startup

Disk.

Choose the new 10.4 folder from the list of bootable places, then

click 'reboot'.

9) Your Mac will now boot into WWDC Tiger Mac OS X 10.4 Pre-release.

Good luck.