Are there more A**holes in movie theaters lately?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have tried electricity seat in Disneyland Paris (Zaninski 3D movie) : I did not expected that this damned nice jumped all across my legs
  • Reply 22 of 41
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Who the hell brings babies to theaters much less to suspense movies?

My guess is parents who can't afford, or won't fork out the money for a baby sitter.

What usually happens is the baby cries for a few minutes until the lights go down...then it's (hopefully) falls into a deep sleep. The parents then get to watch a movie without paying for a baby sitter. It's not fair to others, but it happens all the time.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

My guess is parents who can't afford, or won't fork out the money for a baby sitter.

What usually happens is the baby cries for a few minutes until the lights go down...then it's (hopefully) falls into a deep sleep. The parents then get to watch a movie without paying for a baby sitter. It's not fair to others, but it happens all the time.

Just because the lights go off won't make a baby go to sleep! Especially with

6.1 surround blaring gunshots, screams, explosions & etc! Babies should

only be allow into G-rated movies, period.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    So my lady and I went to a late showing of "I, Robot" recently. I have not been to a movie-mall-theater in a while. Except to see "The Village" a couple of weeks ago. With that exception, eight years to be exact.

Sitting behind us a three-couple group of early-twenties-maybe friends. It's a fairly loud movie. Which must be the reason they felt the need to laugh and talk out loud about what they did Friday night. At various times throughout the movie folks sitting around us would offer up the "shhhhhhh" sound which was met with a response of "f**k off" by one of the girls! This then set their male dates on a laughter explosion.

I was just about to tell my lady let's go when a grandmotherly type asked them nicely to please behave with courtesy and civility. Yeah, that's a quote. What ICE guts! The ape sitting right behind me tells her to "shut the f**k up..." I turned around and said to him, "that's not cool man." His response to this was "wha'chu gonna do 'bout it baldy ol' mutha****er..." I turned to my lady to say "let's go now" and moved my head in time to not take the kick full on the side of my face... When he threw the kick he left himself slightly hanging off his seat if you all can picture what I'm talking about. I grabbed his foot with a vice grip and very quickly and aggressively turned it far left and far right in one motion... There was a definite "crunchy" sound.

I did not want to stick around so we got our asses up and tried to make a quick exit. Halfway to the car his two buddies and the loudmouth girl caught up with us. One guy pulls a gun on us. The girl starts to excitedly yell, "cap them, CAP THEM!" I'm not gonna pretend that I wasn't ready to drop a fifty pound gold brick right there... I went to Iraq and never felt this helpless. Unbelievable.

Turns out there were two off duty cops with their wives who showed up late to the movie but just in time for the "real" action. They followed the knuckleheads out. These guys may have saved our lives!

It will be another eight years...
  • Reply 25 of 41
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Scary story Hardhead : unbelievable.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Unfortunately, it really happened and I'm still thinking about it as I look in the mirror at my still swollen face. I've been around violence, my lady never has and it left her badly shaken up. He kicked me because they "knew" they had the room under control...

I gladly pressed charges despite one of them saying to me "we'll find out where you live..." I hope not. My dogs would just love to make their acquaintance. I wont hesitate to put hot lead into them.

I will probably NEVER ever see a movie with the general population again.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    You think people and loud and inconsiderate at the movies in the States, you should try India. Every movie I've been to here is filled with ringing cell phones and people talking. Indians do not turn off their cell phones in the theater, and everyone carries them and they take the calls in their seat. It's just a reflection of the loud and anarchic nature of Indian society, I guess.

Plus, the movies start about five minutes early here. No idea why. But if it's a 3:00 movie, you better be seated by 2:55, cause they ain't waiting.

And they show movies at weird times. I just saw Spider Man II at 10:00 am on a Sunday. Who the heck shows movies before lunch? I thought a 1:00 matinee was early, but no.

One feature I really like, however, is that you reserve a specific seat when you buy a ticket. None of the bullshit seat scramble that you go through in the States. Lots of the nicer theaters here have balconies too. Try finding that in the States anymore.

And tickets are really cheap (by American standards). The best seat in the house is $2.00, and food $2.00 more. Last time I went to a movie in the States I spent like $15.00.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    The nice thing about living in a city is that we have a bunch of small theaters that aren't so bad. The university cinemas are downright spectacular, particularly the art institute's gene siskel theater. They serve beer, wine, whatever. People are polite and quiet and the movies are better than any of the junk you'll see at the cineplex.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    I went to a showing of star wars episode II... family in front has two kids and the wife begins breast feeding the one that won't STFU. Oddly enough it was during the scene where Portman is wearing her mega-push-up dress. Attack of the boobs.

"I truly. Deeply. Hate idiots in the theaters."
  • Reply 30 of 41
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

When I saw ROTK a kid next to me kept pointing out stuff that was cut out

from the book. I'm thinking, "who the F**k are you & why are you talking

to me!?!"

The other thing that pissed me off was this huge teenage girl that literally

ate during the entire movie! (Opening bags of chips, nachos, popcorn, etc!)

I had some arachnaphobes sitting behind me who started screaming in eevery scene involving Shelob...it was such a pain in the ass.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I had some arachnaphobes sitting behind me who started screaming in eevery scene involving Shelob...it was such a pain in the ass.

Plan of actiom if this happens again:

1: Sneeze and cough loudly

2: say something like "oa!, not this again"

3: cough again

4: say to yourself "hey, I think my SARS is comeing back."

this can clear most any riff-raff with great ease.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

The nice thing about living in a city is that we have a bunch of small theaters that aren't so bad. The university cinemas are downright spectacular, particularly the art institute's gene siskel theater. They serve beer, wine, whatever. People are polite and quiet and the movies are better than any of the junk you'll see at the cineplex.

Don't know where you are, but I recommend the University of Chicago's DOC Film Society.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That's why I download movies from XFactor.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    I dunno, I've been relatively lucky I guess. Here in Arizona it doesn't seem to happen often. The most annoying thing is just having someone put their feet on the seat in front of them. I think it's because they crank up the volume so loud that you can't even hear yourself talk

I walk out of the theater deaf as a doorknob...
  • Reply 35 of 41
    It's really amazing how bad some people behave in such public places. Breast feeding her kid? Yelling at old ladies? Man. In Gregg Easterbrook's words: More evidence of the decline of the western civilization.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    mandimandi Posts: 17member
    i try my best to avoid movie theaters. i hate teenagers (i know i am one but, they are so immature). I'm always sitting infront of some stupid teens and they kick my friggin seat the whole night and throw popcorn at me (and various other people). It's horrible. There should be security gaurds patrolling movie theater making sure people who throw popcorn, kick seats, yell out what will happen in the movie, are BEAT.

oh, and who the hell brings BABIES, to a movie theater??!!!

this is why I lock myself in my room. unfortunately I must leave my room today to go out into this cruel world.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I haven't had so many bad experiences in movies lately. I have a 3 1/2 year old son so I regularly take him to movies to give the wifey a break. He's great. As long as he gets popcorn and lemonade we have a nice couple hours together. I've taken him to see Nemo, Cat in the hat, Shrek 2, Spiderman 2 and a few others. I know he'll behave so I feel fine bringing him out with me. I wish other parents exercised some judgement though.

Holy crap some of you have some ugly movie-going stories.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

He's great. As long as he gets popcorn and lemonade we have a nice couple hours together.

I took my little cousin to see Pirates of the Caribbean. He was about 4 back then. I regret giving him that much soda. We had to take a couple of trips to the restrooms.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I took my little cousin to see Pirates of the Caribbean. He was about 4 back then. I regret giving him that much soda. We had to take a couple of trips to the restrooms.

hehe, the longer movies can definitely involve a stealthy break for the restrooms...
  • Reply 40 of 41
    i live in a small city in ontario, canada, and truly, it isn't that bad at all! i've been to opening nights for many movies, with no problems. the worst i've had is people putting their feet up on the seats, but, asking nicely always does the trick. this is at the megaplex.

the independant theatre is downright amazing.

cheers,

jonathan