Need help findin 8x DVD-R/8x DVD+R drives

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I know that some of the 8x DVD+R/-R drives only have 4x speed for DVD-R, but there are a few which have 8x for both. I wanna know all the drives that are 8x on both so I can take a look. This means the generic ones too....I think Pioneer 107 is 8x, but there have to be some Lite-On or whatever drives.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    i cant really help you, but i hope that everyone knows that as burning speeds get faster for dvds, the readability goes down. the tiny grooves that the laser makes get less and less define as the disc spins faster and faster. sure it wont matter for most people, but if youre making a dvd as a business and will be producing several copies, you need to watch the burn speed.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Yes, but I would expect other areas of the technology to improve aswell and compensate, though to a degree that will always remain true.

4-8X is plenty fast, lets just see the media. What I'm really interested in seeing are the new 8.5GB writable dual layer drives, those will be good, oh yeah, and an iDVD that works with firewire based drives.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Have you seen the double sided media? I wonder if those actually work in most DVD burners or if something like Toast will allow you to write on both sides of the disc. Those are the best.....and yea, I havent seen any 8x media in stores.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Speed won't be the next thing to really make advances in DVDs, I'm thinking density will be. We're going to see the capacity of a single DVD jump from the current 4.7gb, to well over 20 in a few years. Like iPodandiMac said, the readability is a problem with DVDs burned at faster speeds, thats why speeds have stayed low (and because of heat issues). So don't get too excited over an 8x burner, it won't do too well, you'll probably burn more coasters than anything.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    And, because the density is increased, it'll take the same amount of time to write a full disc but the amount of data written per second will jump.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I just got the LaCie 8x DVD+-RW last week. I don't have any media that can burn above 4x anyway. But I got the 8x just for the future when 8x media is less expensive. I really like it so far. Plus, it came with a full version of Toast 6. The price before shipping was $249. I ordered it straight from LaCie. I got it to burn about 50-60 DVDs this spring for a end of the year school video. My TiMac Superdrive wasn't going to cut it again.

As for the quality of the burn at the higher speed, I know that there are more chances for burning mistakes. But, I certainly am not going to burn at 1x speed if I don't have to. I don't know anyone that still burns their audio CDs at 1x! I saw those 52x burning drives for CDs. WOW.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mkjmkj Posts: 2member
    tiger direct has a sale on toshiba dvd-rw + or- for 49.00 after rebate
  • Reply 8 of 10
    You can burn an 8X DVD-R with a PowerMac G5 8X Superdrive. The Model is Pioneer DVR-107D. I have some with burning DVD's so far because I have burned DVD's at 2X, 4X, and 8X. It takes 27:10 to burn a 4.4GB (A true DVD will not hold 4.7GB) DVD. I got an 8X DVD-R (verbatim) and I burned the smae information to that DVD in 7:25 Mins. Now I dunno about you but that alone is a MAJOR progress for DVD Media. I could almost burn 3 DVD's at 8X in the time it takes me to burn 1 DVD at 2X. I have burned somewhere around 100+ DVD-R's in the past 7 Months. Go to www.newegg.com and you can find great 8X Media in 50packs for like $50. I have not yet burned a coaster either (knocks on wood). I have only tried that one 8X DVD-R because I have a 100 Pack of 2X DVD-R's I have to go through first. But I love that Pioneer Burner and that is what I would recommend you getting and then get 8X Media.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

So I know that some of the 8x DVD+R/-R drives only have 4x speed for DVD-R, but there are a few which have 8x for both. I wanna know all the drives that are 8x on both so I can take a look. This means the generic ones too....I think Pioneer 107 is 8x, but there have to be some Lite-On or whatever drives.

I'd recommend a Pioneer DVR-A07. This drive writes -R & +R at 8X, and -RW & +RW at 4X. I think it also writes CDs at 24X. It should be fully supported by OS X 10.3.4 or later.

Some of the OEM Pioneer DVR-107Ds also work with a Mac, but avoid DVR-107BK drives at all costs as they don't work with Mac - unless you can be bothered flashing the firmware.

Check out the searchable drive compatibility database www.xlr8yourmac.com for further info.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    I was looking at the Plextor 708UF2 drive which does 8x _on both ±R media, 4x on ±RW. It is an external Firewire box.