What could this be?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

I think the 20/30" cinema displays fall in the pro catagory.

I'm not questioning that; I just asked if they were shipping in black boxes now. I have not seen one "in the wild" yet, and the displays I bought in May came in white boxes.
  • Reply 82 of 525
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member

Here we go.
  • Reply 83 of 525
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    yeah I have my own webspace, i can put it up in a jiffy..

I PMed mesiah to mail 'em to me but nothing so far...
  • Reply 84 of 525
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Christ, this isn't rocket science. email me the pics and I'll post them on my site.

On their way
  • Reply 85 of 525
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ~ufo~

yeah I have my own webspace, i can put it up in a jiffy..

I PMed mesiah to mail 'em to me but nothing so far...

If you want them go to the appleinsider IRC channel and I'll DCC you them.
  • Reply 86 of 525
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    Look at the shapes in the polystyrene (second pic)

Is that space for a stand?
  • Reply 87 of 525
    oh ok...

well that, to me, just looks like a computer screen kinda thingy
  • Reply 88 of 525
    Oh lawd

Thats a monitor and supposely the new G5 Imacs are all in one and there is not a keyboard connected there either

• Reply 89 of 525
    Delete this.
  • Reply 90 of 525
    lol it'd be funny if thats inventory of some normal person who orderd a new G% powermac and all of us are gettin crazy thinking it has something to do with the G5 imac..LMAO
  • Reply 91 of 525
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    thanks tak,

• Reply 92 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Here we go.

They are too thick to be the current ALU displays and the second picture clearly shows some kind of stand or protuberance on the back of the display.

Even if you ignore the thickness issue, if the white side panels of the displays have been photoshopped out, then a lot of trouble was gone to to accommodate the the significantly different lighting and shadowing in the second pic.

I think it's legit.

P.S. There's no reason the box has to be the retail version. It could just be a black shipping box with an Apple logo just for the Expo.
  • Reply 93 of 525
    Looks like a 3rd party display put into an apple box. it's not the g5 imac, let's move on.
  • Reply 94 of 525
    could be the new iMac.

wouldn't be suprised.

very simple
  • Reply 95 of 525
    Doesn't anyone think it looks a lot smaller in the second pic? it seems slightly zoomed out and the thumb at the top gives it a bit more perspective.

Those circles on the floor don't have to be an inch across, we have them in our toilet at work and they're much smaller.

Doesn't anyone think this could be the apple "tablet"? or even a 15 inch "smart screen" for use with desktop? - something that you can use on the desk / carry round the house / office?
  • Reply 96 of 525
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Okay...

I happen to have a 17" PowerBook box in my office and unfortunately the top styrofoam is gone but the bottom styrofoam looks EXACTLY the same as the one in the pictures. The problem is the black box in the pics seems like it's glossy black (reflective) where the box I have from a 17" PB ordered in 2003 is of the 'flat black' (non reflective) variety.

Anyone have the 'latest' 17" powerbook box? is it glossy on the outside or is it flat?

Also looking closely at the styrofoam it seems 'odd' to me - like what is that part sticking 'out' for? it would seem that the styrofoam halves wouldn't fit back together (if the display was put in) since the styrofoam 'outjut' would be hitting the screen.

Chalking this up to someone having fun... tisk tisk philbot (if it is a hoax).

Dave
  • Reply 97 of 525
    What about the new MacWorld Paris banner? A super computer on your desk, a super computer on your wall. Next? No stand, it's an accessory to keep costs down, a big chuck of AL would cost a pretty penny.
  • Reply 98 of 525
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    For argument's sake, if this is the new iMac, I am throughly unimpressed with the design, compared to the 'Sunflower' iMac....

WTF would you want to mount your computer on the wall, unless you want to dedicate it to being a media-pc/TV? Completely un-ergonomic...therefore un-Apple...

IRT there being no stand visible, perhaps it is an 'option', a-la the eMac stand?
  • Reply 99 of 525
    Most apple products have the name of the product on

The eMac has it at the top

iBook and Powerbook have it below the screen

The old iMac and newer iMac have it below the screen

Its only the Powermacs that dont have their names on
  • Reply 100 of 525
    iPoster, do you own a 20" Cinema Display? Once you do you'll really want it on your wall. My desks are usally so cluttered my drives can't open on eMac or iMac. Can you imagine, not having to own seperate desks, or one massive desk? If you can't, then buy the optional stand! I want my computer to hover over anywhere I want it. Why the investment in a LCD just to have it sit in the middle of your desk with 10 inches of empty space behind it???