canon D20

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    regreg Posts: 832member
    As an enthusiast who doesn't retouch my photos very often, I find storage to be my biggest problem. With my kids in sports almost every weekend, I am taking lots of pics. We added a 120 G firewire hard drive just for pictures. That being said my wife now wants to get the 20D when it becomes availible. Since we already have a 10D I want to get an EF lens for the 20D since it will work on the 10D. Is there a big difference between the EF and EF-S? No one seems to have any EF-S lens and I want to go into the store and shoot a bunch of pictures with both the 10D and 20D with EF lens and then see the difference with the EF-s on the 20D. To us right now the biggest advantage is the fast start up time. Do you think that we will see a difference in the pictures?

reg
  • Reply 22 of 54
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Are you shooting JPEGs? They can't all be keepers, edit edit edit! But yeah, adds up fast, doesn't it?

I don't foresee a huge difference between 6 and 8MP. I haven't ever played with an 8MP DSLR, 8MP consumer cams show no advantage, but that's down to the small sensors/lenses.

I would imagine that you get a slightly more convincing 8x10 or, for most enthusiats, a little extra cropping latitude -- 6MP can be sufficient, but you're framing has to be perfect, 8MP gives a little room to breathe.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I won't have the budget for a 20D and lense for another year or two. So I'm planning to get another P&S to replace my PowerShot A20 and tie me over until then.

I love the new PowerShot G6. OTOH, I can get a PowerShot S60 with the 28mm wide-angle immediately and for US$250 less. Guess I need to figure out what I need and want.

Any thoughts?

Escher
  • Reply 24 of 54
    If you're buying numerous replacement P&S cams, I think it's time to slow down and look at a DSLR instead. Cheaper Pentax, Oly, Canon and Nikon units are all rumored, and prices on the out going generation will only drop.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    When I am shooting action pics of the kids, they are in JPEG. In fact about 90% are JPEG. I take multiple pics of almost everything, so instead of edit I delete pics. Now if only the price of paper and ink would drop. I use an Epson photo 2200 and it just drinks the ink.

reg
  • Reply 26 of 54
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

I won't have the budget for a 20D and lense for another year or two. So I'm planning to get another P&S to replace my PowerShot A20 and tie me over until then.

I love the new PowerShot G6. OTOH, I can get a PowerShot S60 with the 28mm wide-angle immediately and for US$250 less. Guess I need to figure out what I need and want.

Any thoughts?

Escher

It's a nice camera (the S60), according to most reviews.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    My Canon 10D is sweet no matter that the new one kicks ass. Very happy with the purchase. But the new features I can see would be welcome, especially joystick AF selection and review panning. But I can live with the 10D for the duration

I just need a wider lens...I took the 24-70 with me to Thailand and felt I needed to go wider. Well, I'm going back, no big deal.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

My Canon 10D is sweet no matter that the new one kicks ass. Very happy with the purchase. But the new features I can see would be welcome, especially joystick AF selection and review panning. But I can live with the 10D for the duration

I just need a wider lens...I took the 24-70 with me to Thailand and felt I needed to go wider. Well, I'm going back, no big deal.

I expect that you appreciate your 24-70. I am annoyed to see some amateur test of this lens in DP reveiw claming it's soft (and the crops where indeed terribles) : you do not become a tester, by just photograhing a test target. It's a complicated procedure.

The professional tests I have seen : classical FTM test and DxO analyser test, show that this is a great lens on every captor from the APS size of the 10 D to the full frame of the 1 DS.

Concerning wide angle, I have a 15-30, but I realise that I could live with a 18 mm (I am not an UWA fan). Sigma just release in asia a 18-50 F2,8 EX : link . I am waiting for the first serious tests.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Anyone heard any rumors as to when the 300D may get updated?
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Looks like Kodak has a 10MP APS CCD too. Looks like 10MP is the next step up for Nikon/Pentax/Minolta -- everyone buying 3rd party sensors.

Come on Nikon, show me the D2X and D90.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slackula

Anyone heard any rumors as to when the 300D may get updated?

At the PMA in 2005 ?
  • Reply 32 of 54
    I think the next logical step is to sell the black, Japan only, special edition into the rest of the world, and apply the firmware hack that takes it part way up to 10D spec.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    I was at the Redskins football game today and signed up for the 20D raffle. Up in the nose bleed sections, Canon has a binocular rental booth. Since I have not seen it at any stores yet I asked a couple of questions, of course they knew nothing. Maybe someone here can answer my questions.

1. What size memory card comes with it?

2. When will it start arriving in stores?

reg
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

1. What size memory card comes with it?

2. When will it start arriving in stores?

reg

reg,

1) No memory card supplied (see this link)

2) Any day now apparently (see this link)

Dave.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    All I know is the 300D (Digi Reb) is still more camera then I'll ever need. I'm quite happy with the stock lens + the 75-300 Canon EF (non-IS) lens. This camera makes me want to take pictures. I can't wait for the Fall colors!

If anyone's interested, I took some 1600 ISO shots of the CT riverfest fireworks show. I could put them online if anyone wants to see how noisy (not very) 1600 ISO is on the current Digi Reb.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    I want a dslr bad, but I also want to be able to shoot in low light with long exposures and have it still look good.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

I want a dslr bad, but I also want to be able to shoot in low light with long exposures and have it still look good.

Then get a tripod.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    D1s MkII?

Bitch slapped!
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

D1s MkII?

Bitch slapped!

Matsu,

Not so fast .

Dave.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quite a cat fight, isn't it?

They both cost more than I can pay. But assuming the best about each, they look to be tops in their respective segments.

1Ds MkII is more of a medium format replacement, and priced like (although a bargoon at 8000USD in MF terms, it's still expensive.)

An interesting price pyramid between these two...

Canon 1Ds MkII $8000

Nikon D2X *$4500, *Rumor on the street

Canon 1D MkII $4200-4500

Nikon D2H $3000

Canon D20 $1600

Nikon D70 $1000

Canon 300D $800

For all the talk about Nikon V Canon, there isn't a whole lot in either line-up that stacks up directly against the other guy -- not in terms of features and not in terms of price.

The closest was the soon to be defunct D100 vs 10D match-up, and both of those are available at nice discounts if you look around.

If the D2X and EOS 1D MkII hit the street at about the same price, that will be an interesting match-up. Judging by the spec sheet, one will have more res and better color reproduction (Nikon), the other will have more speed (@ 8MP) and less high ISO noise (Canon).

8fps vs 5fps

ISO 1600 vs ISO 800 (though both will do more, how well either can do it will be debated)

8MP vs 12MP

I wonder if a D200 or D90 is coming to replace the D100, and where it lands price-wise? Will it be a direct 20D competitor, or something a tad different?