POLL: New iMac, like or no-like?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    So... to summarise so far...

We have a new iMac that in all does seem to give rise to a lot of personal ideas and preferences about design and implementation of current technology.

Posts and a look at the poll so far have indicated that in all, most people are somewhat happy with the new design, although a lot have reservations about included hardware ... namely the graphics card and speed of the Superdrive.

There remains some discourse regarding the overall look of the machine (chins and pizza box are noted) though it does seem to be a "grower".

Pricing of the G5 iMac v's G4 model has to be commended.

Healthy debate, and indeed Apple should take on board the criticism aimed at their new offering and maybe we will see a marked improvement concerning hardware in Rev. 2.
  • Reply 82 of 86
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Agree MiMac.

For those of us that just couldn't get on board with the features and price of the last iMac, this new G5 is it. While we can safely assume that rev 2 will bring some new nice features that some are crying out for in this thread, waiting for a minimum of 6 -8 months just won't do.

I can't wait for mine to arrive. And this is knowing that my iMac DVSE 400 still operates very well. Only thing I ever updated was the RAM. This machine is gonna be a screamer.
  • Reply 83 of 86
    Quote:

o... to summarise so far...

We have a new iMac that in all does seem to give rise to a lot of personal ideas and preferences about design and implementation of current technology.

Posts and a look at the poll so far have indicated that in all, most people are somewhat happy with the new design, although a lot have reservations about included hardware ... namely the graphics card and speed of the Superdrive.

There remains some discourse regarding the overall look of the machine (chins and pizza box are noted) though it does seem to be a "grower".

Pricing of the G5 iMac v's G4 model has to be commended.

Healthy debate, and indeed Apple should take on board the criticism aimed at their new offering and maybe we will see a marked improvement concerning hardware in Rev. 2.

I do think that is a fair assessment.

I'm happy with the design.

Would like to see a Special Edition (remember those?) iMac in ALL Alu!

WITH '2 Gig' and a 9800 pro (to get a gaddamn decent game of D3 when it hits!)

...and the ram...the RAM, COME ON APPLE! With 512 already!

I'd happily pay an extra £150 for a Radeon 9800 Pro. A further £50 for 512 megs and a further £100 to up to a 2 or 2.3 gig G5.

An extra? £300. Call the SE £1595 and you're still cheaper than the last 20 inch iMac by some pennies.

And you'd get some iMac then.

Aside. Put 2 gigs of ram in the 1.8 G5 and you have an excellent Photoshop/Painter machine.

Couldn't Apple sell a 'shuttle' modular 'box' to auxillary the iMac G5? ie a little friend you could stick bigger graphics? Stick in an iPod..?

Like a super-powered dock-Cube. Stick yer iPod in to recharge. Boost your iMac graphics.

Accessorize. That sort of thing.

I'd like Apple to be their own upgrade store.

The new new iMac is to be commended for addressing design, elegance and the original evocation of the bubble iMac's simplicity.

It is the 'perfect' iPod companion machine.

However, be warned. It's not the finished item.

Sub-standard graphics on the mid and uppear machines coupled with the lack of 2 gig G5 on the high end make for disappointments. (Don't get me started on the ram, gaddammit.!!!)

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. It has one helluva sexy ass...! Anybody say that? I did.

Drool...look at its line of ports...I can't wait to stick it in...(my guitar that is...but Lemon...you don't have a 'guitar'...shhhh....)
  • Reply 84 of 86
    I like the new design, it is kind of growing on me. The small footprint will be a big benefit on my desk.

Can't wait to see one in person at the Apple Store.
  • Reply 85 of 86
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    kcmac...I agree that this new iMac will have features aplenty that lots of customers have been waiting for and will be quite happy with.

That DVSE 400 of yours was a great machine in its day and I know that my own machine (iMac G4 800 SD) will probably serve me very well for a year or two yet, though when it does come time for me to upgrade I will be looking for a little bit more than the current iMac is offering.

Maybe im being picky but, Lemon Bon Bon, you have hit the nail on the head! A Special Edition iMac would be a real temptation and the specs you've talked about, if available, would probably push me to buy (though I'd have to see a faster Superdrive)

Then again, it might be prudent to wait and see if we get a nice new G5 Powerbook
  • Reply 86 of 86
    I have totally fallen in love with this design. And I think it will be a winner both long-term and short-term.

One thing that hit me today was that, as alien as the G4 iMac was compared to everything else, the G5 iMac has a more familar look. It looks a bit like the LCD-tv´s or a Bang-Olufsen hi-fi. It doesn´t look odd. The shape can be recognized.

BTW. I am sure this design has been lurking in the back of the head of mr Ives since he first laid his eyes upon Spartacus. I bet he even has one !

Zon