Help Google Win

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.whatsmyip.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27

Bad things happen when microsoft becomes dominant. A few lines of php will help make sure msn's search doesn't become dominant, and Google stays #1. I like knowing that I'm getting the most relevant search results, and not the search results that a company wants me to see.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    What is exactly the advantage? A site .. with anything to say should be found, no matter whether someone finds it with msn or yahoo china search. Not everyone wants to use the same search engine you want.

An assumption that everyone who uses msn search, or a pc, or is an AOL user, isn't very nice.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Its not really a Pro Google thing, as much as its an Anti-MS thing. MS abuses its power. If MS becomes a popular search engine, they will have total control over what millions of people see. microsoft has been sued more times than anyone could count for not playing fair on so many levels. I don't want to let MS get into the position where they have the ability to control what I see and what I don't. It has nothing to do with the people who use MSN search, other than to try and get them to use something else. I use google and I love google, but hell you can use whatever you want, just don't use MSN. Or we will all regret it. And this isn't paranoia, how many times has MS abused its monopoly to muscle others out of the market. There is no doubt they will do what they always do, which is, control, and consume. Give you one thing, and call it a choice, and slander others who give you a real choice.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    i won't do something that will cause me to lose traffic.

if MSN search becomes dominant let it be. You can always still use google.

don't try to force people to use your search engine of choice. that's behaving like MS.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    You don't get it, but suit yourself.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by l008com

http://www.whatsmyip.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27

Bad things happen when microsoft becomes dominant. A few lines of php will help make sure msn's search doesn't become dominant, and Google stays #1. I like knowing that I'm getting the most relevant search results, and not the search results that a company wants me to see.

Why haven't you included this code on any of your own sites?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Why haven't you included this code on any of your own sites?

Its on ALL of my sites. PHP gets processes by the server, you can't view it with your browser!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    http://www.idlewords.com/boycott.pl

They explain it better than I do. They use the Robots.txt method. Problem is that essentially doesn't block MSN, it just asks msn to honor your request to not have them index you.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    And when Google gets the monopoly it won't use it ..?

Like seriously, if I look back on how people get anywhere, not many people use MSN.

If you have something to communicate with a site, it should really not matter how people find hte site. Maybe even have a look how they got there, and learn .. not block.