GmailFS - Gmail Filesystem

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
GmailFS:

Quote:

GmailFS provides a mountable Linux filesystem which uses your Gmail account as its storage medium. GmailFS is a Python application and uses the FUSE userland filesystem infrastructure to help provide the filesystem, and libgmail to communicate with Gmail.

This seems to use lots of standards that are already in Mac OS X, like Python for example. How easy would it be to port this to OS X?

I always imagined the killer-feature of Gmail would be WebDAV type access to your 1GB of storage.

Jambo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

GmailFS:

This seems to use lots of standards that are already in Mac OS X, like Python for example. How easy would it be to port this to OS X?

I always imagined the killer-feature of Gmail would be WebDAV type access to your 1GB of storage.

Jambo

Yeah, I've been thinking of that, too. A kind of '.Mac' storage integration with Gmail would be really nice.

And knowing Google, I'll be surprised if this doesn't make it to the Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

And knowing Google, I'll be surprised if this doesn't make it to the Mac.

This isn't sanctioned by Google and it'd be a surprise to me if they just didn't disable this capability. There's nothing in it for them if you're not reading their ads in your Gmail account.