FireWire PCI card for G4

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
We've managed to kill the FireWire ports on one of our Quicksilver G4s, and I'm currently trying to find a suitable PCI based FireWire card.

I saw a Belkin PCI card, and it mentions compatability with PCs. There's no mention of compatibility with Macs.

Will I need drivers for Mac OS X, or can I simply plug the card in?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I was recently helping a friend of mine install a wireless pci card in his PC, and I noticed he had a firewire pci card. I asked him if he used it much, and he said he had never even noticed it and thought he'd never use it. I asked him if I could use it for a while, and give it back if he ever needed it, and he said sure.

I installed it in my Quicksilver (SP 867) which incidentally has also blown a firewire port, and it works fine. No drivers or anything. It charges/syncs my ipod, and my iFire (my pro speaker jack is dead too)

so yeah, i don't even know what brand mine is, but it worked fine with no drivers.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsfmark

I was recently helping a friend of mine install a wireless pci card in his PC, and I noticed he had a firewire pci card. I asked him if he used it much, and he said he had never even noticed it and thought he'd never use it. I asked him if I could use it for a while, and give it back if he ever needed it, and he said sure.

I installed it in my Quicksilver (SP 867) which incidentally has also blown a firewire port, and it works fine. No drivers or anything. It charges/syncs my ipod, and my iFire (my pro speaker jack is dead too)

so yeah, i don't even know what brand mine is, but it worked fine with no drivers.

Cool!

That's good news.

Thanks for that...