Gigabit Speed.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Awhile back, ask on these forums about a 10/100 router to use for my home network. well, it's just not fast enough for me anymore. I'm going to gigabit. Which gigabit switch is the best most reliable, and fastest? There's so many to choose from. I'd like to find something nice looking so it doesn't hurt the eyes, but still performes. I like the look of Belkins 5 port, and linksys's 8 port switch (what's the difference between linksys's workgroup gigabit switch and reg gigabit switch?). I'm going to be buying to of them, which ever I choose. I need to connect at least 10 cables. Will these switches have a built in firewall, and hide my ip's of the computer behind the main ip?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 2 of 9
    I haven't been able to find a Gigabit Router.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Hitachi and Cisco make some gigabit routers but be warned they aren't cheap and really aren't designed for regular use. You'd be better off using switches then connecting a router to that and out to the net although I'm not even certain that works. Switches really do just redirect packets though.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

In general switches are relatively stupid and do just one thing--switch. Stuff like firewalls usually require routers which may have an integrated switch as part of the package.

Not really, Hubs are stupid Layer 1 devices but Switches are very intelligent Layer2 and 3 devices.

DSL routers and such have mini switches/hubs built in, but normally your router will have a port for the type of network you are connecting to (E1, T1, ISDN, AUI).

From here you go to the Switch/routers where you can create muliple routes per port where a simple router on a switch solution isn't required.

Dobby.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Not really, Hubs are stupid Layer 1 devices but Switches are very intelligent Layer2 (and some are also Layer3) devices.

DSL routers and such have mini switches/hubs built in, but normally your router will have a port for the type of network you are connecting to (E1, T1, ISDN, AUI).

From here you go to the Switch/routers where you can create muliple routes per port where a simple router on a switch solution isn't required.

Dobby.

• Reply 6 of 9
    I only want to spend around 350 max on two switches. I suppose I could use my old belkin router as a Fireware, since i really only need Gigabit speed with in my network. I changed my mind and am looking at the netgear GS108 8 port Gigabit Switch. Only 130 each, which will fit my budget. Any pro or cons about this one?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I think all the cheap gigabit switches use the same chips.

We use several GS108's for the G5s at my office; they seem to work fine.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Layer x,y,z they still just switch. Layers are just a conceptual abstraction, not a description of software/hardware intelligence. A backplane doesn't have much if any decision-making capability built beyond the packet switching it is designed for.

I could build a layer 7 (or 14) switch if I wanted to do something stupid and wanted to flaunt an abstraction war with different layering descriptions. But in the end I would still just have a switch, only because I left as much unused potential as I would have to on the table.

Very true, but switches that utilise spanning tree, multi-layer switching etc are not the same as your switches that 'just' switch.

Why do you have a Mac as a computer, it only processes information.

Dobby.