Possible to change IP address?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is it possible to change the IP address of your computer using software? Someone once mentioned that this was possible. It would seem to be a good security tool if it were possible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Umm.. are you use you are talking about IP address? Or is it MAC address you want to change? A change in either will not improve your security in any way (unless you have people actively trying to break into your computer, then you have just side stepped the issue until they figure out your new address) and will probably lead to a raft of inconveniences.

If it is IP address... then it all depends on what you mean. You can change the address your computer responds to (System Preferences->Network), but if the new address is not being routed to your computer, it is useless.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Umm.. are you use you are talking about IP address? Or is it MAC address you want to change? A change in either will not improve your security in any way (unless you have people actively trying to break into your computer, then you have just side stepped the issue until they figure out your new address) and will probably lead to a raft of inconveniences.

If it is IP address... then it all depends on what you mean. You can change the address your computer responds to (System Preferences->Network), but if the new address is not being routed to your computer, it is useless.

I mean when you access a web site and it records your IP address. is there any way to easily juggle that address so it changes?
  • Reply 4 of 10
  • Reply 6 of 10

Thanks too. I think if I need to i will try the one from versiontracker first, unless someone here has had good luck with one and recommneds it over the others.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I use none of the them, so I can not help you on that front. I am on dial up so going through proxies makes the process even more unbearable.

• Reply 8 of 10
    Will using a proxy block my I.P. from agencies like the RIAA if I use a program like X Factor or Poisoned?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by xedgelockx

Will using a proxy block my I.P. from agencies like the RIAA if I use a program like X Factor or Poisoned?

If you could find an IP proxy... but everything talked about are HTTP proxies. At that point you are definitely going to be paying for the service, and if someone were to have a legal recourse against you, they could simply supeana your IP information from the service.

Simple answer: you can't hide this way if you are doing something illegal.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

If you could find an IP proxy... but everything talked about are HTTP proxies. At that point you are definitely going to be paying for the service, and if someone were to have a legal recourse against you, they could simply supeana your IP information from the service.

Simple answer: you can't hide this way if you are doing something illegal.

that's why you use someone else's network.... uhh... i meen nevermind