Camino

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
On my XP system, i use Firefox as my primary web browser and on my PowerBook i use a Safari/Firefox combo, which works well for me.

However, I've just discovered that the Mozilla group, as well as providing Firefox for OS X, has a Mac-only browser called Camino, that is Cocoa based.

What i'm wondering is... does anybody here use it, if so, is it better than Firefox? Is it better than Safari?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maffrew

On my XP system, i use Firefox as my primary web browser and on my PowerBook i use a Safari/Firefox combo, which works well for me.

However, I've just discovered that the Mozilla group, as well as providing Firefox for OS X, has a Mac-only browser called Camino, that is Cocoa based.

What i'm wondering is... does anybody here use it, if so, is it better than Firefox? Is it better than Safari?

I use Camino on and off. I think it is better than Firefox for using native widgets and adhering to standard Macintosh-behaviour. However in comparison to Safari I feel it is slightly inferior, for lack of certain basic features (History, for instance) and a slightly inferior (compared to Safari) native widget support.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I've been using Camino since v 0.6 or so. It is my primary browser. I like the speed but most importantly i like the way it uses the keychain. No other browser does this afaik. Some sites do not render correctly so i do switch to safari from time to time, but for the most part i use Camino.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maffrew

I've found it to be better than Safari in that it doesn't cause my computer to gobble RAM, and it seems to render pages quicker.

It's been my primary browser now for a few months and I do recommend it over the competition (don't know much about Firefox).

Just my 2c
  • Reply 4 of 4
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    The latest nightly builds of Camino are reportedly the fastest in the Mac browser world. If you have not checked them for awhile, do it now.