My review for the iMac G5.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Quagmire - as an actual owner of an iMac can you please check the power rating. Is it rated at 100-240V or 100-120V?

I move between UK and USA and so far Apple's have auto switched between voltages but I have read that the new iMac is country specific!
  • Reply 22 of 45
    I just turned mine around and checked (which would be easier to do if I had a longer USB cable going to the printer). It's rated 100~120 V 50~60 W. Hope that helps you.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I added 2 sticks of 512 and now everything is instant. The difference between the base ram that I used for a couple of days and 1 gig is tremendous. No beachballs have been seen.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    It's nice to know how the iMac will run with 1G of RAM. The apple store offers the upgrade to 2x512 sticks for $225 ($202 education)

It may be a little more expensive than purchasing it elsewhere, but it would also make the memory covered under AppleCare. Seems like a good deal to me.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jarhead

It's nice to know how the iMac will run with 1G of RAM. The apple store offers the upgrade to 2x512 sticks for $225 ($202 education)

It may be a little more expensive than purchasing it elsewhere, but it would also make the memory covered under AppleCare. Seems like a good deal to me.

Most places you buy memory from guarantee it for life. Memorytogo, etc. I saved over $80 by ordering later. It takes 5 minutes to install. (And this let's you take a peak under the hood of the beast. It is awesome.)

Take that $80 and put it towards a bigger harddrive. Or just save it and use it towards the purchase of Tiger.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Went to another Apple Store nearby since they had a 20" iMac on display. It was the Wellington Green Mall in Florida. Smallish store (compared to the Town Center one nearer me.) While admiring both the 17" and 20" I spoke to several customers. One had recently purchased an iBook after getting an iPod several months before. A true switcher. He planned on getting the 17" iMac by Christmas. Another person was asking questions of a store employee about RAM requirements and was told an additional 256 really is needed. The customer saw that the store demos had 512 total. He had a PC friend who asked him to get some info for him. He told me his friend was going to switch. The salesman told me they had already sold 2, 17" Superdrives and had 2 more left and one 20" in stock. As long as Apple can deliver them in reasonable quantities they'll sell them as fast as they can, no doubt about it. The 17" had some heat on the bottom left front... where the G5 chip is. The 20" had heat more towards the center. Seems the components are not spread out on the 20" but are placed the same as the 17", or so I assume.

One other thing. Every single person who walked up to the iMac while I was there took the opportunity to touch and stroke it! Anybody ever do that with a PeeCee?
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:

"I added 2 sticks of 512 and now everything is instant. The difference between the base ram that I used for a couple of days and 1 gig is tremendous. No beachballs have been seen"

KCMAC: Could you look at your apple memory and see if it has sufficient information to identify it/match it. I ordered my 20" with the 512k upgrade and want to order another 512k with the same speed/latency etc. I could just wait until I get my new computer but I'm getting antsy..

I would also like to know: what is your impression after playing with it for a few days? I enjoyed your initial review and I'm sad to say, I must be content to experience the iMac vicariously.\

(Sept 29th and counting....)

thanks

buzz
  • Reply 28 of 45
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Does anyone know what the refresh rate is on the iMac G5's 20" display? 16ms?
  • Reply 29 of 45
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    According to MacBidouille, dual channel memory give a 38 % boost in the memory test of Xbench.

They also said that the Imac G5 do not support many different type of DIMM in 128 bits mode.

I am happy to have ordered two 512 MB DIMM on the apple store directly.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by endymionls

I just turned mine around and checked (which would be easier to do if I had a longer USB cable going to the printer). It's rated 100~120 V 50~60 W. Hope that helps you.

• Reply 31 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by endymionls

Can anyone from UK who has an iMac please look to see the voltage of iMac's sold there please? I am particularly interested to see if the voltage is 100-240V. Thanks.

If the UK version are 100-240V you have to wonder why those sold in the USA have a restricted power supply.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

256 Mb RAM isnt enough for anybody. From my experience 512MB should be standard.

I disagree...640K ought to be enough for anybody.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    To be honest I reckon 1GB should be the standard these days, considering apps we use like garageband, imovie etc.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    drbuzz,

The memory I was sent has the brand name Princeton. I went to the Princeton Technologies website and found that it is CL3 RAM.

Powerdoc,

How do we know which DIMM do not support 128 bits? From the Apple Developer notes, two identically matched sticks should provide this.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    I think 1 gig of ram is the target. Plus if you have 640 in the new iMac that means you don't get to take advantage of 128 bit memory. So that leaves you with the option of 512 or 1 gig if you match pairs.

My iMac performs noticeably better with 1 gig.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I think 1 gig of ram is the target. Plus if you have 640 in the new iMac that means you don't get to take advantage of 128 bit memory. So that leaves you with the option of 512 or 1 gig if you match pairs.

My iMac performs noticeably better with 1 gig.

So I ordered the iMac with 1 512 stick in it. Can I just get another 512 stick from anywhere and have that have the 128 bit stuff?

Thanks!
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Yes, as long as the technical specs of the additional RAM are the same, the memory bus should be 128.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jarhead

Yes, as long as the technical specs of the additional RAM are the same, the memory bus should be 128.

Can you tell me the specs of the ram in the iMac? So everything has to be the exact same?
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Can you tell me the specs of the ram in the iMac? So everything has to be the exact same?

There is a thread in this forum titled "Recs on Where to Buy Memory" Someone has posted the RAM specifications and places where to get from other that an Apple BTO.

I would post a direct link to that thread, but I'm not sure how. Hope this will help.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    I got to look at a 20" for about 30 minutes today. It had 512MB of RAM. I put it through the paces as best I could, running several apps (FinalCut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, filters in Photoshop). It handled everything very smoothly. I never saw the beachball and all programs launched and ran very quickly. I was very impressed with Photoshop, though disappointed that I couldn't toy with Motion as it was not installed. I fiddled with Dreamweaver and some simple Flash animations that I could put together quickly. All in all, a very impressive machine. I was skeptical when I first saw it, but it is gorgeous. The gap on the bottom doesn't look bad at all, especially on the 20inch. It is the quietest machine I have ever heard (or not heard, as it were). I even convinced the Genius to open up the back for me. Wow. IMO, there has never been a machine engineered so well. Each piece easily slides out of the way. Didn't appear to have a video daughterboard, so that stinks - though the Genius did say they have been alerted to expect upgrade offers down the line and training on how to do them. I'm in the camp that wants a better video card, and should get it with the Rev B model, which I'll wait for.

I must say, though, the iMac is a step in the right direction. It's fast, sleek, extremely well designed, and the easiest AIO to service ever. I think Apple's finally realizing they need to offer people the ability and opportunity to upgrade if they wish. The HD is easy enough to do, as is the optical drive if you can find a drive to replace it.