Uninstalling OS X Security Updates

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there a way to do this, or do I have to go back to my OS X install disc reinstall Panther, then reinstall back to 10.3.5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    It is a one way trip as far as I know.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Having just installed these security updates, I am curious to know what problems you have found to justify removing them?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Having just installed these security updates, I am curious to know what problems you have found to justify removing them?

Refer to this post I made yesterday for the whole story:

"Problems waking from sleep"

Although, today I am leaning towards it being a hardware problem since I can't even startup from the install disc and reinstall the system without it freezing up. I ran Disk First Aid yesterday and it didn't find anything wrong. Running out of ideas...

Does anyone know of a checklist to determine whether a problem is hardware or software related?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Have you run the hardware diagnostics that come with your Apple?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Moving to the Genius Bar.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by hobbes8calvin

Does anyone know of a checklist to determine whether a problem is hardware or software related?

My rough sequence, depending on symptoms:

Web Search based on symptoms for known issues/workarounds.

Disk Utilities: Permissions Repair

Disk Utilities: Disk First Aid (from startup CD or external volume)

Single user mode: fsck -y (sometimes in lieu of or flipped with DFA)

Hardware Test CD (perhaps earlier in the sequence if you suspect hw)

Zap PRAM/OpenFirmware Reset (will revert some settings)

DiskWarrior (if DU can't fix but drive is suspect)

Call Tech.

I might be skipping a step or two (ie: if networking, might add dhcp steps)

Sounds like you've hit a couple of these already.

Sometimes you need to throw in a voodoo dance to get the fixit juju flowing.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    The FAQ at the top of the Genius Bar forum page includes instructions on most of the steps listed above.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I'm not 100% sure yet, but only one of my soundsticks can play sound (one is almost inaudible while the other is normal).

The only difference I can think of between a couple hours ago when it worked and now is that I applied the latest security patch (2004-9-30) and restarted during that time.

I don't know the likelihood, but I sure would like to be able to uninstall to troubleshoot...

Is it really a one way trip?