Powerbook Ultraportable?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What are the prospects for Apple producing a sub-3 lb. notebook in the near future?

I'm a student who commutes 10 miles by bike every day and I have to carry my computer on my back most of the time. I currently have a Dell Inspiron 2100 ultraslim notebook that's on its last legs (the hinges for the screen are falling apart!) Weight is the primary concern for me, and I'm looking for another ultralight notebook for my next machine.

I really want to switch back to Mac (I owned a IIsi and PB5300 in the good 'ol days and I'm growing tired of waiting for Windows to restart after crashing), but the weight of Apple's current notebooks has me looking at the IBM ThinkPad X40, and Sony Vaio, both of which hover around 3 lbs.

Has anyone heard anything?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    I think the current 12" is as light as your'e going to get from apple.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    12 inch iBooks are pretty light. You would do better to lighten your burden by carying fewer books. One thing of note is that where an iBook isn't as light as you would prefer it to be, it is actually built like a tank (it was designed to be used by schoolchildren) and so you won't have the "falling off of the hinges" problem. Ultra portables sacrifice durability for weight and you are currently living on the downside of that arrangement.

Do the right thing and get an iBook that was designed to be abused the way you are abusing your laptop You need a ruggged laptop to handle the abuse your bike commute is going to dish out.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tlee650

the IBM ThinkPad X40, and Sony Vaio, both of which hover around 3 lbs.

The Powerbook 12" is 4.6 lbs. I'd say an extra weight of 1.6 lbs or so is worth it given you're getting a fully equipped laptop.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Sub 3lb? Not for a while. iBook is the way to go. Durable and light (4.9lb)
  • Reply 5 of 34
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so how does ibm do the x40 is a slot load thicker than a tray load
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

so how does ibm do the x40 is a slot load thicker than a tray load

It doesn't. To use an optical on the X40 would require an external solution or a docking station.

Apple's PowerBooks are probably the best (size/weight/price/performance/features) in the market as far as fully featured laptops are concerned.

IMO however, Apple should seriously consider a 10" and 12" ultraportable that has FW800, USB, modem and Ethernet but excludes the built-in optical. There are a huge number of people on the move with their computer and size/weight are more important than having the optical. These potential customers probably have a desktop - having an excellent sync solution (through FW800) with a 10 and 12" ultraportable is a slam dunk.

BTW: In addition to a 15" PB, I have the X30, a predecessor to the X40 - it is a great machine and something Apple should use as a benchmark when building the Apple PalmBook
  • Reply 7 of 34
    This?

Not worth it if you ask me. Kinda cool though.

_thedustin

edit: oh yeah, it does not run OSX. That is why I don't want it,
  • Reply 8 of 34
    apple is too bent on not compromising power for portability... even though the 12 inch is very portable. I am in a similar boat and will get the 12". it is perfect. as for carrying weight what i do is copy pages from my textbooks that are big for the sections i will need... carrying a few sheets of paper is better than my 5+ pound math book!
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Apple's 12" PowerBook weigh's in at 4.6 pounds with battery and optical drive installed.

I think going below that, at least today, would mean it would not be a fully featured notebook anymore.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Exercise is good, I'd get a Lapzilla...8)
  • Reply 11 of 34
    resres Posts: 711member
    I almost talked my brother-in-law into getting an iBook, but he wanted something between 3-4 pounds, so he ended up with a PC notebook.

Apple has the Mid-sized notbook market covered with its current iBook and Powerbook lines, what they really need to do is add a compact (3-4 pounds) for people who want the portability, and a full-sized (7-10 pounds) for those who need more powerful portables (Apple should stay out of the under 3 and over 10 pounds markets for now -- the demand just is not there).

If Apple wants to keep it market share, much less expand it, they need to give the buyers what they want, and that means adding one or two new models to their portable lineup.

I'm pretty sure that they will add something smaller to the lineup sometime in the future, but who knows when?
  • Reply 12 of 34
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

If Apple wants to keep it market share, much less expand it, they need to give the buyers what they want, and that means adding one or two new models to their portable lineup.

There's one little problem with your statement: It assumes that Apple's portable sales are stagnant. They aren't. They're strong and getting stronger.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that they will add something smaller to the lineup sometime in the future, but who knows when?

When they can offer a full featured notebook that appeals to enough people. Subnotes are a small niche.

If Apple releases a smaller notebook, it'll be a 12" PowerBook that's only one inch thick.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    I'm sorry but if 5lbs is heavy to you..you're quite possibly a wimp.

As one poster said above.."exercise is good"

I just don't think you can design much longevity in a sub notebook. Maybe Apple hits this market someday depending on processor and other components but I'd doubt that the market is that huge for people needing sub 5lb notebooks.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I just don't think you can design much longevity in a sub notebook. Maybe Apple hits this market someday depending on processor and other components but I'd doubt that the market is that huge for people needing sub 5lb notebooks.

LOL -- "wimps" --that's what I keep thinking when I say want a 7-10 pound desktop replacement bowerbook and half the people in the forum go into histrionics about the weight.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

LOL -- "wimps" --that's what I keep thinking when I say want a 7-10 pound desktop replacement bowerbook and half the people in the forum go into histrionics about the weight.

They just don't know what a strapping lad you are Res. Honestly though I can understand the desire to carry as least weight as possible. Every person has to decide how much of an inconvenience their portables truly are. Although I wouldn't be kicking Lapzilla out of bed anytime soon.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    5 pounds is around the limit. carrying it around all the time is no fun.. especially when you have other things to carry and have back problems. I want a computer that is portable... not a freakin desktop[. i have that at home
  • Reply 17 of 34
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by earthtoandy

5 pounds is around the limit. carrying it around all the time is no fun.. especially when you have other things to carry and have back problems. I want a computer that is portable... not a freakin desktop[. i have that at home

Maybe if you have back problems... If all that's in my backpack is my 4.9 lb iBook, it feels empty. I usually throw a nice thick stack of papers and folders in there just to add some bulk. I mean, the empty backpack and sleeve (Waterford) together probably weigh as much as the computer. I guess people have commented that the computer feels heavier than it looks. But that's because it's solid - any weight loss would likely trade off with durability, as was mentioned, which is not good for a computer that rides in a backpack every day. To each his own, I guess.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    yeah i understand that but my bag is not empty,, i have a few folders of papers, a couple notebooks and usually a couple books. i have one book that weighs about 7+ pounds... that book alone is too much. so for me the 12" is a god send!
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

To be quite frank, I can't really tell the difference between 4 and 5 pounds, and the differnce between 3 and 5 pounds is unremarkable at that. A 3 pound notebook will be slower, have a smaller screen, no optical drive, and it will cost more. subnotebooks are no good unless you spend most of your time on a desktop, because, truly, they are too small to use for any serious.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It is sort of like going hiking in the backcountry and having the carry everything on your back. When every once counts you have to look at just what utility you will get for that weight. So often the long barrel 44 stays behind and a large knife takes its place.

Laptops are likewise the same sort of issue, the weight may never be a problem when taken alone, but in combo with alot of other things every little once adds up. For some the lighter machines offer all the utility they need for the majority of their portable work. Some times less truely is more.

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

They just don't know what a strapping lad you are Res. Honestly though I can understand the desire to carry as least weight as possible. Every person has to decide how much of an inconvenience their portables truly are. Although I wouldn't be kicking Lapzilla out of bed anytime soon.