Does Mac OS 10.3 use tcsh or bash by default?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm running the default installation of 10.3.5, and echo $SHELL shows I'm running tcsh. However, I seem to remember Apple switched over to Bash when moving from 10.2 to 10.3. Is something amiss?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    rara Posts: 623member
    You're right, but if you did an upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3, rather than a fresh install, it preserves your Terminal settings, meaning if you were using tcsh before you're still using it now.

If you want to use bash, you can change this setting in NetInfo Manager (in /Applications/Utilities). Just navigate to your name, select 'shell' from below, and change '/bin/tcsh' to '/bin/bash'.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

You're right, but if you did an upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3, rather than a fresh install, it preserves your Terminal settings, meaning if you were using tcsh before you're still using it now.

If you want to use bash, you can change this setting in NetInfo Manager (in /Applications/Utilities). Just navigate to your name, select 'shell' from below, and change '/bin/tcsh' to '/bin/bash'.

Ok, so a fresh install of 10.3 would have Bash by default?

This might be the case because I ran the Migration Manager to migrate from my old iBook to the new PowerBook, and my old iBook did a Archive and Install from 10.2 to 10.3