Comments

• Reply 161 of 185
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    HELLO!

Are you guys reading impaired?

The original post said, and I quote:

Quote:

- ALL applications will have access to ?Wolf

This does not say "all applications will magically use Wolf", nor does it say "no code changes are required to use Wolf". When I read the original post with my developer hat on, I think: "cool, Apple is going to give me a system service that I can use to make my application work in a distributed fashion".

The rest is more of a stretch... I then went farther (based on the vectorizing mumbo-jumbo) and hoped that they go beyond PVM / IMP, beyond C/C++/Fortran and do something that describes computations in a way that can be efficiencly used by all the modern hardware that is available (i.e. SIMD units, DSPs, programmable GPUs, etc). In addition to making my software distributed, it could also let me leverage AltiVec and new Apple technologies much more easily than I could have otherwise. It may not be 100% as efficient as hand optimized assembly, but who has the time to write that these days?
  • Reply 162 of 185
    Behold, I resurrect an ancient thread.

And so the ages have come and gone with no signs of any ?Lucidia? or ?Presley?

?Wolf? (possibly a good guess) is kind of there with the xserve cluster technology? but not as described?

So tell me folks, could Panther be implementing some of these software changes, and if you do have a 970 to run Panther, will it be coupled with a Mouse/Keyboard revision?

How about that Lucidia nonsense?. lots of talk of tablets, pdas, set top boxes, iPod 2s etc? but little talk of cameras?. if iTunes is gonna be updated for a new music service and one click added ?os wide? then perhaps snappier integration of iPhoto with said ?lucidia?.

In any case, okay, butcher me for resurrecting this? but recent info (about plastics) got me thinking?. anybody care to pick up this torch of a thread and run with it some more?
  • Reply 163 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by allenmcjones

- Processing runs over TCP/IP

- ALL applications will have access to "Wolf"

- The network is similar to Peer to Peer

- You can process jobs on any "Wolf" enabled Macintosh

- You can share your computer resources to the network

- It utilizes ZeroConf as a service

- A demo of a 8 Mac "Wolf" cluster ripped an entire 120 minute movie in under 15 seconds.

- This is extremely advanced technology

Sounds a bit like Rendevouz to me...
  • Reply 164 of 185
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Well it refers to ZeroConf (which is Rendezvous). Actually this may just be Shake's distributed rendering capability instead of OS-wide.

One thing that never was explained is how or what determines that a process should be distributed? I mean, Lightwave and Maya? Sure. Photoshop and Apple's video troika? Fine. But iChat, iPhoto, Sherlock!? Um, no. So how does Apple prevent "frivolous" apps from gobbling up all of the network's resources!? \

Screed
  • Reply 165 of 185
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

One thing that never was explained is how or what determines that a process should be distributed? I mean, Lightwave and Maya? Sure. Photoshop and Apple's video troika? Fine. But iChat, iPhoto, Sherlock!? Um, no. So how does Apple prevent "frivolous" apps from gobbling up all of the network's resources!? \

The app would decide what and how to cluster, but this really isn't something that's going to get abused. Like threading, you have to design for it, and that means identifying which parts will benefit from it. In the case of non-compute-intensive apps, there's no benefit whatsoever in introducing another level of complexity into the code in order to distribute, say, photo resizing to another machine when it will accomplish nothing except to make the app less interactive.

The apps that need clustering and/or distribution will use them. It's hard enough to get developers to adopt technologies when you want them to (especially if you're Apple, and you have a long history of abandoning them shortly after your developers have adopted them), so I wouldn't worry about Snak taking over the entire office to run an IRC session. It's just not going to happen.
  • Reply 166 of 185
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    The user is correct in his post.

For those of you who have good memory remember back before OS X was actually out they were talking about how the OS was going to have this technology built in and that a highly skilled team was working on it?

We'll finally see fruits of that labor. This is the next killer feature. Another milestone in computer history.
  • Reply 167 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkhead

The user is correct in his post.

For those of you who have good memory remember back before OS X was actually out they were talking about how the OS was going to have this technology built in and that a highly skilled team was working on it?

We'll finally see fruits of that labor. This is the next killer feature. Another milestone in computer history.

Actually, this is a resurrection of an old technology from the NeXT days. If you do a little searching, I am sure you'll find reference to "Zilla". This was an OS-level distributed computing API.

No doubt the new version [in Panther??] will add functionality like Rendezvous into the mix that will make administrating parallel computing a breeze. This, as Martha says "Is a Good Thing".
  • Reply 168 of 185
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Well it refers to ZeroConf (which is Rendezvous). Actually this may just be Shake's distributed rendering capability instead of OS-wide.

Well, that's likely... but i'm hoping that Shake is using an, as of yet, unpublished API call for rendevous enabled distributed processing.

Never throw your computer away again. Simply dump it in the closet on airport extreme and eek out a bit more processing power. IP based? Rent out your idle time world wide!

Suuuure... this is only useful for certain things, but the implications are huge if done properly via zero config. Local processing used for processes with user interaction, remote processing takes up the slack on background tasks.

Ancient idea... but it may finally be unleashed on the masses soon.
  • Reply 169 of 185
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Actually this may just be Shake's distributed rendering capability instead of OS-wide.

They need to test the framework

Quote:

One thing that never was explained is how or what determines that a process should be distributed? ... So how does Apple prevent "frivolous" apps from gobbling up all of the network's resources!?

System Preferences has the Sharing pane. The pane has these tabs: File Sharing, Web Sharing and, ...drumroll... Power Sharing.

This technology, like many others, won't be adopted by everyone. If you use your computer for playing Solitaire, you don't need it; nor does the Solitaire. But some developers are surely going to jump out of their skin if they don't have to develop the technology themselves. Anyway, we'll see Panther.
  • Reply 170 of 185
    Call me crazy. But this thread just showed up on the main page without my post on it. Is there something wonky with the dates at AI?
  • Reply 171 of 185
    It is a 2 year old thread, make a note in the Suggestions Forum, asking for possible bugs.
  • Reply 172 of 185
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Wow, cool. Apparently I was still subscribed. (Got the reply notification email)
  • Reply 173 of 185
    Well I dunno if i'm totally of track here, but Tiger is supposed to have Xgrid incoreportraited. Wouldn't this let me use spare cycles for example in my office?
  • Reply 174 of 185
    oh sorry! Two years?
  • Reply 175 of 185
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 176 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Only if you have applications that already distribute themselves. Highly doubtful.

would it not be a thing that the OS distributes itself, like giving all applications certain services automatically even if not implemented by the coder?
  • Reply 177 of 185
    Bring on the "two click, no button" mouse!
  • Reply 178 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by farve

Well I dunno if i'm totally of track here, but Tiger is supposed to have Xgrid incoreportraited. Wouldn't this let me use spare cycles for example in my office?

Tiger isnt supposed to have this.
  • Reply 179 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Tiger isnt supposed to have this.

Tiger will feature builtin xGrid.

Watch Steve jobs Keynote, look at the bottom of one of his slides with new features in Tiger.
  • Reply 180 of 185
    Having Xgrid built-in is the exact same thing as having X11 built-in. It's a power user, program specific feature.

Now, if we're lucky, Apple will have implemented something a little easier to code for than creating NSTasks (or with an extra layer of abstraction so it's more Cocoa-like, for creating and executing Xgrid jobs. Maybe add something to the Accelerate framework? If the later is the case, expect simultaneos Panther updates for backward compatibility to some measure, probably required a Tiger controller and agent.