OQO - A Nice Looking Mini PC Is Coming

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    I would rather carry a high capacity iPod with my settings and applications stored on it. I would then connect it to a docking computer at work/home and have instant access to my desktop anywhere I go. Anything larger than a iPod is not worth carrying around. Laptops are cumbersome.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

I'm honestly a bit suprised at the pricepoint though. Basically this type of device should ideally be priced somewhere between a PDA and a low-end laptop, not in line with a high-end laptop, at least in my opinion. As nice as an ultra, ultra portable PC might be, it's a pretty tough pricepoint to put it at, why not just buy a laptop?

Miniaturization doesn't come cheap. That's why the little subnotes frequently carry stratospheric prices. Getting a full computer into that tiny little case isn't easy.

The question is, is the size worth the price? Personally, I'd buy a PowerBook before that thing in a heartbeat, even if it did run OS X. A full size keyboard and a big screen are far more compelling features for my purposes.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Miniaturization doesn't come cheap. That's why the little subnotes frequently carry stratospheric prices. Getting a full computer into that tiny little case isn't easy.

The question is, is the size worth the price? Personally, I'd buy a PowerBook before that thing in a heartbeat, even if it did run OS X. A full size keyboard and a big screen are far more compelling features for my purposes.

You hit it on the head, Amorph, the keyboard/mouse/screen I/O doesn't fit a computer of this size. Although with a set of shutter glasses and a pair of force-feedback data gloves ... that would be a different story entirely.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

BUT I HAVE A 12" POWERBOOK!
  • Reply 25 of 39
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Exactly!

Tiny computers (including PDAs) have yet to find widespread utility. There just aren't that many tasks which are best fascilitated by a miniscule screen and relatively inefficient input hardware.

Perhaps someday the equation will change when voice interaction comes to the aid of small devices lacking efficient input. However, voice interaction also has a number of characteristics that make it a poor primary input for most user tasks.

These things are always 'neat' but yet 'useful' to only a select few professions. Notice, it's only the gadget geeks drooling. Office and production managers realize that these devices are toys and not efficient tools.

For the record though... damn that thing looks cool.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

I think I would. If it has wifi... I really think Apple should have something smaller than a 12". Saw a ultraslim Vaio the other day, close to one centimeter thick and very elegant.

The OQO has WIFI and bluetooth.

It's interesting, but as many have said is it practical. Maybe I could use something like it to replace my Powerbook that I use mostly for surfing, but the screen is kinda small.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It reminds me of the Sidekick, that little phone that was supposed to be really cool but then flopped.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

That's exactly my point. I realize that miniturization is expensive, but you also need to look at this sort of thing from a marketing standpoint. If I'm going to drop $1800US on something, it's going to be either a 12" or 15" Powerbook, depending on just how mobile my needs are.

Of course, this is their first gen device, we'll likely see price drops with future generations.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    I would like to say how much I hate thumb keyboards, and people who text message! GRRRRRR!

Thumb keyboards have to be one of the most inefficient things I have ever seen! Sure you may be able to get use to them and use them, but really come on!

Text messaging? What the.... most people who text message use their cellphone do to so. How is that better than just talking to the person!?

Yet, this being my opinion, people still use them.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Agreed. Text input on a numeric pad is ridiculously inefficient.

The only time I could see it being useful is when stuck in an environment where speaking is not an option or when listening is not possible for the recipient. These are relatively rare situations in most people?s lives. Background noise could be too loud or peaking could be socially unacceptable in some situations such as sitting in a quiet audience.

Yet in these situations, most choose to wait or switch environments so that verbal communication or keyboard text input is possible.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Ick. Ick! Get away!

What is this morbid fascination with fitting the bloated capabilities of a dektop into your pocket? When you're on the go, your interests are particularly defined (otherwise you wouldn't be on the go). What could you possibly need to do that requires the extensibility and versatility of a full operating system while you're on the train? If I want to do some coding, design work, or anything serious, I'm not going to do it standing up with my head facing the floor like I'd play a gameboy.

Seriously, to those of you who want this, what would you do with it? How would it add to your life?
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Phong

Ick. Ick! Get away!

What is this morbid fascination with fitting the bloated capabilities of a dektop into your pocket? When you're on the go, your interests are particularly defined (otherwise you wouldn't be on the go). What could you possibly need to do that requires the extensibility and versatility of a full operating system while you're on the train? If I want to do some coding, design work, or anything serious, I'm not going to do it standing up with my head facing the floor like I'd play a gameboy.

Seriously, to those of you who want this, what would you do with it? How would it add to your life?

Well, to answer your question, I think that this type of device is best suited for a mobile corporate user. For example, the person could start his morning at home either mobile or docked, then bring it over to work, pop it in a docking station (which of course has a full sized keyboard, mouse, monitor etc. connected), work during the day, undock it to bring it to a presentation, etc.

Are you going to type your magnum opus on the unit's built-in keyboard? No. But it would probably suffice to answer a couple of e-mails while sitting near a Wi-Fi hotspot at a coffee shop/restaurant/airport; you get the idea.

While I may not agree with the pricepoint, the overall utility of this device has huge potential for corporate users, just need to be careful to back-up vital data on a regular basis.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    All of the functionality you describe has been available in the form of a PDA for quite a few years now. It's still only truly useful for a handful of people and tasks. The vast majority of PDA users use these devices as toys and eventually tire of them. Real uses and users exist... they just aren't that common.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

All of the functionality you describe has been available in the form of a PDA for quite a few years now. It's still only truly useful for a handful of people and tasks. The vast majority of PDA users use these devices as toys and eventually tire of them. Real uses and users exist... they just aren't that common.

I beg to differ - there's someone in my office who this type of device would be absolutely perfect for, specifically because he is your topical corporate road warrior, currently carries around a Blackberry + full-sized laptop.

Also worth mentioning that PDAs do not do exactly what this device features, which is the ability to seamlessly switch between ultra-mobile and desktop uses without the need for synchronization.

I still think that it needs a more attractive pricepoint, but early adopters typically tend to pay higher prices, with higher volumes bringing costs down in the long-term.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

IMO, these things are becoming too small to be useful. However, if you could plug in a full sized keyboard and mouse and connect the output to an external monitor, then I could see where the small size could be an advantage.

• Reply 36 of 39
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

That's exactly my point. I realize that miniturization is expensive, but you also need to look at this sort of thing from a marketing standpoint.

I did: The question for marketing is, is the size worth the price? Subnotes do have a small but loyal niche, especially in Japan, who are willing to pay $3000 for a gelded, but small, laptop. But it seems to be a tough target to hit profitably. Apple failed with their PowerBook 2400, which lost money despite being quite popular in Japan.

Quote:

Of course, this is their first gen device, we'll likely see price drops with future generations.

Possibly. But the other problem with highly miniaturized platforms is that they tend to be trailing-edge technologically and difficult to update, so I actually don't see the model price changing much unless OQO pulls Palm's trick of rebranding and repricing the old Palm 3 for years. Compare the iMac 2.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Update on this:

CNet is running a story about the launch party for the OQO being slated for October 14. Invest in TMTA now, thank me later. :P

http://news.com.com/Start-up+OQO+to+...l?tag=nefd.top

Btw, here's an interesting concept for you. Since Transmeta emulates x86, why not a version that emulates PowerPC architecture? Food for thought.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    By the way, the OQO videos get an "A" for style, but a "You Could Have Said All That In 20 Seconds" for length -- ugh! Style over utility, again. Jobs gets it right.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by macinJosh

By the way, the OQO videos get an "A" for style, but a "You Could Have Said All That In 20 Seconds" for length -- ugh! Style over utility, again. Jobs gets it right.

Pity it doesn't run Mac OS X, and isn't being produced by Apple.

I'm reaching the point where I don't think I will ever buy/build a Windows box again, sick to death of all of the never-ending Windows security/virus issues. My next computer purchase will likely be my very first Mac.