New Powerbook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    halsehalse Posts: 53member
    the problem is more power density (watts per cm**2) than power consumption, there may be some clever way to use a liquid to transfer heat to the metal case which could act as a radiator (or other solution) to get the heat away from the 970 fast enough that the chip doesn't fry
  • Reply 42 of 64
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Heh... then you burn your legs and arms
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Agreed... "IF" we see a powerbook g5 with in the next year... bet on a redesigned case... Personally I still don't see the advantage of moving to g5 in a powerbook... it is going to EAT battery life, EAT component life (heat), EAT performance. Give me a 1.8ghz g4 with a little FSB bump and I'd be happy.

Ummmmm. . . .

low voltage, low-k 970fx @ 1.8GHz should dissipate less heat than the 1.5Ghz 7447. The die is probably a bit smaller, but I'm sure the iMac cooling techniques will suffice.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Hey you guys... Have not posted in forever.

Is it not possible for the 7447A to go faster than 1.5ghz. You would think by now they would have gotten it to scale a little higher, 1.6ghz at least. Apple could also replace the 7447A with the 7457A. The L3 cache seems to add about 8% in some cases. While testing my Ti1Ghz in xbench turning the L3 cache off took about 10 points off my score.

Apple could do something like this as an update:

1.6Ghz G4

1MB L3 cache

512MB RAM

9800 mobility with 128MB VRAM

I know it sucks but better to update them somewhat than to wait till next year. A little update would help them sell better over Xmas. Then next year when the 7448 comes along they can throw one of those in there lol.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Did the guys in c't say how they measured the temperature?

they used an infrared thermometer (whatever that is) to measure the temperature; however, they don't say how hard they worked the CPU and GPU before measuring.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by philby

they used an infrared thermometer (whatever that is) to measure the temperature; however, they don't say how hard they worked the CPU and GPU before measuring.

Thanks philby. This would mean that indeed the display is exposed to much higher than acceptable temperatures, at least when the system is stressed. This issue is under discussion in the corresponding thread in Current Hardware. Please feel free to contribute there if you know more on that.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I'd like to see Apple have new high-density batteries like those batteries

that I've seen 3rd parties sell recently. Also, user-upgradeable video cards

would be nice.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Im worried that any worthy speed increases would have drastic impacts on battery life. Something that is impotant for portable notebooks.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

Apple could also replace the 7447A with the 7457A. The L3 cache seems to add about 8% in some cases. While testing my Ti1Ghz in xbench turning the L3 cache off took about 10 points off my score.

As fast as Freescale is concerned, there's no 7457A, but I guess they could make an exception for Apple. What's the difference between 7447 and 7447A but a better fabrication process? They could do the same with 7457 i guess.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    drsusedrsuse Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Agreed... "IF" we see a powerbook g5 with in the next year... bet on a redesigned case... Personally I still don't see the advantage of moving to g5 in a powerbook... it is going to EAT battery life, EAT component life (heat), EAT performance. Give me a 1.8ghz g4 with a little FSB bump and I'd be happy.

i'd actually like to see a redesigned case almost more like the wall street, with the modular drive bays so that you could take out the cd drive and have two batteries. i wouldn't even mind if it was as thick and heavy as a wall street, i just like that interchangeability. also the wall streets/pismos were some of the most durable books ever made, i would far rather have something that strong than a super light aluminum masterpiece of space and weight conservation - although the new ones sure look pretty, and if no "son of wall street" arrives by june, i'll get a 15" whatever the current books are.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by drsuse

i'd actually like to see a redesigned case almost more like the wall street, with the modular drive bays so that you could take out the cd drive and have two batteries. i wouldn't even mind if it was as thick and heavy as a wall street, i just like that interchangeability. also the wall streets/pismos were some of the most durable books ever made, i would far rather have something that strong than a super light aluminum masterpiece of space and weight conservation - although the new ones sure look pretty, and if no "son of wall street" arrives by june, i'll get a 15" whatever the current books are.

I, too, miss the modular drive bays. I know it takes away from the sleekness and whatnot, but it's damn useful...
  • Reply 52 of 64
    I don't think we'll be seeing a G5 in a PowerBook anytime soon.

And when we do, it looks like it will be a machine that gets very hot, uses battery at a rate of knots, and so on.

What that could mean is that Apple has the opportunity to put together a last revision G4 machine that provides value for money and, perhaps more importantly, is a pleasure to use.

I would happily grab a lower-priced G4 PB that combined a slower (comparatively) processor with great battery life, a nice GPU, a great screen, and so on.

If I remember correctly, there were some late model G3 and '040 Powerbooks (I was almost surgically attached to my PB 160) that occupied a similar spot in their time.

Done right, it could be a very nice little machine ...
  • Reply 53 of 64
    I met IBM PowerPC processor people during last week. IBM is putting a lot of effort to PowerPC technology. They couldn't tell directly, when PowerBook will get new processor from IBM. I understood, that during the 2005 PowerBook will get new low power processor from IBM. So there will be at least one G4 PowerBook, before new low power processor from IBM in PowerBooks.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stratosfear

I met IBM PowerPC processor people during last week. IBM is putting a lot of effort to PowerPC technology. They couldn't tell directly, when PowerBook will get new processor from IBM. I understood, that during the 2005 PowerBook will get new low power processor from IBM. So there will be at least one G4 PowerBook, before new low power processor from IBM in PowerBooks.

Isn't MWSF in January, 2005?
  • Reply 55 of 64
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Isn't MWSF in January, 2005?

Yes. Starts the 6th I believe.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Yes. Starts the 6th I believe.

Jan 10-14th

MacWorld Expo

And with this new Quark promo on PowerMacs and PowerBooks ending Jan 10th, don't you think it seems inevitable?

• Reply 57 of 64
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Apparantly, Apple announce earnings on Wednesday. Is there a precedent of them releasing products just before these meetings, to put a positive spin on things? If so, there might be a fair chance of something new being released tomorrow.

David
  • Reply 58 of 64
    So, all in all, what is everyone's expectations on _when_ the PowerBook line will be rev'd?

I am looking to buy a 17" next week -- is it safe?
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Jan 10-14th

MacWorld Expo

And with this new Quark promo on PowerMacs and PowerBooks ending Jan 10th, don't you think it seems inevitable?

yeah, when i saw that i thought the same thing.

maybe i'll be getting a powerbook sooner than i thought.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Logically, the PB's will need to be updated to allow the ibooks to be updated which are also due now.

So if apple updated the ibooks now, then we could very well see G5 PB's at MWSF.

Realistically, though the PB's and ibooks will probably receive further G4 and spec updates before the obligatory 2+ sales quarters and the intro of the G5 PB in the FH05.

For what its worth!