Tobacco Smoke Discoloring - iMac G3

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
There is a yellowish color all over the white parts of an iMac that I'm considering.

1) Does anything remove this?

2) What other parts of the computer are affected by a smoke environment? Hard disk, RAM, etc.?

I'd like to hear from people that have tried removing the discoloration.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by interact

There is a yellowish color all over the white parts of an iMac that I'm considering.

1) Does anything remove this?

2) What other parts of the computer are affected by a smoke environment? Hard disk, RAM, etc.?

I'd like to hear from people that have tried removing the discoloration.

Thanks.

this isnt related to your question, but buying an iMac G3 seems like a waste of money. Why buy a computer that is already severly outdated?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Good question - personally I'd like an iMac G5, but ...

1) It's cheap.

2) It runs Panther just fine.

3) Grandparents don't need a G5 to burn a DVD.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Does this iMac have a DVD burner?

Anyway, also consider the smell from the iMac. The smell from the smoke should be pretty funky. I'd smell it up close.

But I imagine baking soda and warm water on a slightly damps sponge would get it out. (Be sure to rinse it off several times. Baking soda is not abrasive but it does leave a powdery residue until it's wiped off fully.)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    burning DVDs will take forever on a G3 iMac unless it is clocked over 500MHz, and even then will be a while...

is the burner external? (not USB I hope)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I missspoke in my last post.

My grandparents will never burn cds or dvds. They'll never ever need a G5.

Smell is a concern - never really thought of that.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Just paint it Black

No seriously, I had a couple of beige monitors that suffered smoke staining, we have this stuff in the UK called "Vanish Foam" - just look for Oxy Action Foaming stuff.

Of all the things I tried, a bit of this stuff on a cloth just cut through it as easy as wiping condensation off a window.