Which computer for Pro-tools

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
First of all, i hope this is the right forum. If it isn't, Mods / Gods please move it to the right one.

Anyway, My brother will be moving to pro-tools (LE if it matters) and is planning on buying a new G5 to do it. What would you suggest. Cheaper is, of course, better.

We were thinking a dual 1.8 and then buying ram separately to bring it up too either 1 or 2 gigs. Would pro-tools benefit from a dual processor?

What about the singly 1.8? would that work? I know it will work but will it be acceptable performance in the average guy for pro-tools. Once again, 1-2 gigs ram.

And finally, what about the new iMac. If you think it is powerful enough, the new iMac would be great IMO because it will already come with a display and stuff like that. The stuff all goes through firewire so no PCI slots is okay.

Does pro-tools even need that much. I see pictures of people using iBooks. I know it would be hard because of the small screen. Disregarding screen size will a 1.0 G4 with 768-1,256 megs of ram be okay to run pro-tools (LE if it matters). I run PS CS on a 1.0 G4 with 768 ram and for the most part I am okay with its performance but I know the second I start doing a game like Unreal Tournament 2004 I have to drop the screen resolution and cut most detail to get a good picture. I also know that video would be suicide on my PowerBook. Is audio (and pro-tools specifically) a memory hog like Final Cut Pro or more like CS where it is still okay?

Any other ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated.

If you need further detail just ask or email me Justin (the at symbol) Winokur (the dot) us

Thanks again

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'd recommend the single G5, and then pump it to the gills with RAM.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    If the single G5 is okay, what about the iMac

I am just asking because i want to know if you think there would be a difference in performance with he same G5 and the same amount of ram.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Protools is not specifically optimized for the G5 the way Logic is (cos it's designed to run on its own hardware - TDM PCI cards) so it really only sees the clock speed, so if there was a G4 at 1.8 GHZ (and it was cheaper) I would get that but there ain't (Thanks Moto!) so go for the 1.8 G5 iMac (you will enjoy the extra screen res too). Ram makes a big difference to Protools LE so pack it in too. However, if you can find a refurb 1.8 single (or a new one) G5 tower I would go with that, having 2 HD on 2 separate busses also really helps in Digital Audio, and you have the Firewire 800 option as well (the biggest mistake in the iMac G5 I think!) The G5 tower gives you more display options, more ram options and an upgrade path to ProTools TDM if you get that big break! Good luck
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Like i said, it is my brother who will be doing it and i will pass on the advice.

On another note, what do you think of pro-tools vs logic? If he goes with logic, are there devices to allow 8 tracks going into the computer. I have no experiance with either programs but if apple made logic like they did their other pro-appls (Final Cut and DVD studio) it must be pretty good

Thanks for the help
  • Reply 5 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'd avoid going cheap on the processing. Protools LE is not efficient at all on the G5. A single processor won't even get you to 30 tracks with effects.

Unless he specifically needs Protools for biz I'd recommend something like Logic which is far more optimized.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

Like i said, it is my brother who will be doing it and i will pass on the advice.

On another note, what do you think of pro-tools vs logic? If he goes with logic, are there devices to allow 8 tracks going into the computer. I have no experiance with either programs but if apple made logic like they did their other pro-appls (Final Cut and DVD studio) it must be pretty good

Thanks for the help

I looked over pro-tools, logic, cubase, and DP and went with logic, but they are all really great programs. The only thing I don't like about pro-tools is that you are stuck using expensive digi hardware: You have a much larger selection of equipment with the other programs.

As for getting 8 or more inputs into a computer, there are several firewire options: Metric Halo 2882, Tascam FW1884, MOTU 828MKII, PreSonus Firepod, RME Fireface 800, and a few others.

What type of music does he want to record? That can make a real difference in which program and hardware would best for him.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    He has his own studio for him but to try to recover costs, he allows others to record and he engineers it so there is no way to actually pinpoint what type he records. The reason he is only going with the LE version is because he only does this part-time. He is the head sound guy as a small, but well known venue in the Philly plus he is in a band.

He works at a music store also and is friends with other stores so he will be able to get it all for ~$999 (pro-tools and hardware that is). Considering Logic starts there plus hardware, i don't blame him for going with pro-tools.

The way i was looking for it was the industry standard. Like i said, i am used to Digital Images where everybody uses PS as opposed to the music industry where i am learning that there is a lot more pro-options.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    You should seriously check out the new version of DP 4.5 with a motu system. User friendly and lots of options in hardware and third party.

Plus go for a tower G5. it has a lot more upgrade possibilities, which is important for the future, otherwise you may regret it later.

And get TechTool Pro 4 and your set.

http://www.micromat.com/

http://www.motu.com/

8)
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

He works at a music store also and is friends with other stores so he will be able to get it all for ~$999 (pro-tools and hardware that is). Considering Logic starts there plus hardware, i don't blame him for going with pro-tools.

The way i was looking for it was the industry standard. Like i said, i am used to Digital Images where everybody uses PS as opposed to the music industry where i am learning that there is a lot more pro-options.

Few years ago i'd have said go OR stick with pro tools, BECAUSE it is/was audio industrie standard. Best quality for bucks But time has changed a bit since then

If you want to do some 8 audiotrack (with 4 effects) editing, my vintage iMac G3 350Mhz is plenty fast indeed.

If you want to do some 16+ audiotrack (with 6 effects) editing with 3 or 4 software synthies/samplers running simultaniously, then you probably want more power.

My 1ghz PB is a very good performer for that purpose

I guess an iMac G5 1.8ghz would be pure overkill though.

If industrie standard compatibility is not an issue i would go for LOGIC, and iMac G5

As others pointed out: actually, you do have more choices concerning 3d party hardware, if you go the "logic route".

best
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Pro-tools isn't dual processor aware, to my knowledge. The next thing would be to have a seperate hard drive for you media, that's where the G5 tower would add a benefit. However, the money you would save with the iMac would allow you to add a LaCie Big Disk which would be great as well. and of course, you can't say enough about ram.

What are you going to be mixing?

If you are going to be using MIDI or will be in the future I would recommend Logic, but if your not - I'd go with ProTools.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    I have seen many towers (G5) don't know the specs...but in the HD demos that PT sent me, they use them a lot...even multiple ones (How does that work?)

ProTools is very much a standard. Some say don't go with it for personal stuff unless you're looking to take files back and forth to a studio for the preamps in them aren't too good for the money dished out with the hardware/software bundles. But...if you are already looking to make it into bigger territory, it is nice to have the experience of using PT for a while.

Even if you do go with it with the preamp problem...you can always have your choice of preamps. I think all the audio connections are just 1/8" TRS cables or stereo or something.

Insight of myself would help too.