Custom Icons - How do I do this manually?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I know that there are plenty of utilities out there where I can easily change all of my icons, but how do I change just one?

I've looked this up on some sites, and it boils down to "Open Getinfo for the source icon", "Click'n'Copy", and "Paste in the Target's getinfo window".

But how can I take a .tif or .icns that I have made, and use that? Whenever I try copying and pasting, I just get the .tif or .icns document icon.

Any tips?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You need Iconographer:

http://www.mscape.com/products/downl...nographerX.dmg

From there it should be self-explanatory.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    You shouldn't need iconographer at all... Make sure you are copying the picture content of a graphic (ie, open it up in Preview, Graphic Converter, Photoshop or whatever, select the area you want, copy that, and paste it into the Get Info icon. Works like a charm. I don't know how well they scale, but that's another matter
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Only problem is that Preview does not copy the transparency over, so you end up with a square icon.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    But still, that is a pretty good tip. I have been looking for a way to add custom pictures to my files. I thought I needed some special app to do so, I never realized it was this simple. Thanks.

Mike