Safari Download Problems

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a friend running Mac OSX 10.3 on an iMac. When he tries to download large files using Safari it appears that the download does not stop when the end of the file is reached.

For example, if he were downloading a 200 meg file after 200 megs have been downloaded the download does not stop. You see the indicator go to 201, 202, 203...

Has anyone seen this problem before? How does one resolve it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    does safari stop when its like 205mb or does it go on endlessly ?

i had that problem once (using an older safari build i think) when i stopped a download and tried to resume. safari just appended the whole file. :/

you could still try using curl or and ncftp if nothing else works and you're not afraid of the command line.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by r3dx0r

does safari stop when its like 205mb or does it go on endlessly ?

i had that problem once (using an older safari build i think) when i stopped a download and tried to resume. safari just appended the whole file. :/

you could still try using curl or and ncftp if nothing else works and you're not afraid of the command line.

Safari will not stop until some one stops it. We let it go to 400MB once. I was wondering what it was appending to the file. But because of the nature of the file (disc image) we didn't have to option to just go to the place where the file should have ended to "read" what it was writing.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I have seen this problem a couple times, but it seems to just happen with a select few files online, especially ones that it doesn't know how big they are. Though the website gave a size, Safari wouldn't stop at that point, and there was nothing involving resuming.

Unfortunately, I don't have a fix, and I think I just ignored the file because it wasn't all that important to me.