Overclocked eMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just got through overclocking my eMac 800.

Cranked it up to 1400, and it wouldnt boot reliably.

At 1333 it booted, and I was able to run xbench, and warcraft III. After a while it kernel paniced, and continued to do so every half hour or so.

At 1266 it was running very nicely, but I got a kernel panic after a day.

Now at 1200 Im hoping it will settle down and be happy.

Although I dont consider xbench the most reliable benchmarking package, it is convenient. CPU performance scaled very well with speed. The interesting thing is that opengl performance also scaled well with cpu speed. I had thought that the ATI 7500 would be a bit of a handicap, but it appears that it is a good partner for the G4.

All in all an excellent investment

Apart from the moment when I noticed a tiny SMT resistor had come loose, and I had to reposition it. It was half the size of the smallest tweesers I have.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    1GHz is the fastest I'd feel comfortable clocking it.

BTW, how are you doing this?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

1GHz is the fastest I'd feel comfortable clocking it.

BTW, how are you doing this?

Let me help mmpie

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html

BTW., any recent 800 Mhz Chips are 1GHz to 1.4 Ghz chips clocked down, so I wouldn't worry about 1.2 if the eMac was from the last couple years.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Curufinwe

Let me help mmpie

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html

BTW., any recent 800 Mhz Chips are 1GHz to 1.4 Ghz chips clocked down, so I wouldn't worry about 1.2 if the eMac was from the last couple years.

Thats the one.

Im not sure that you can confidently say that they are 1ghz+ clocked down. We dont know what sort of yields motorola got on g4s, mine certainly isnt better than 1.2, seems pretty stable so far. Its much like my old Athlon, clocked up to 900 from 650 very nicely, when I bought it it was about the fastest they sold.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I'm guessing that doing this to a G5 would make a crater the size of Rhode Island?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I'm guessing that doing this to a G5 would make a crater the size of Rhode Island?

Considering the rarity of 2.5 chips, I doubt that any G5 chips have been clocked down.

But, if anyone knows how to change the buss multiplyer on my iMac G5, I'm all ears. Well, all ears, and probably a hand so I can grab the tweezers and change whatever. Oh, and an eye so I can see what the heck I'm doing, but other than that, ears all the way buddy.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Considering the rarity of 2.5 chips, I doubt that any G5 chips have been clocked down.

I know that, I didn't mean "clock up to normal speed", I meant "clock above and beyond the IBM certified speed".

Actually, the 2.5s might be factory overclocked, and that's why the cooling had to be redesigned.