New macs arent compelling

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    - Its the other Jeffrey Lebowski. The millionaire...
  • Reply 22 of 29
    the new imacs have some really nice features tht may not be advertised that I have come accross while using.

-it can be put anlmost anywhere, takes up very little room/depth.

-the keyboard and mouse can slide comletely under the base and totally out of the way when not in use.

-the speakers sound ok, and are comletely internal, no extra wires there

-it tilts and holds position easily, and the pivot is still there because the base is big enough that the psi on it doesnt make it grab the surface when turning

the only thing you lose to the sunflower is the height adjustment, which may be important to some. but i will bet dollars to donuts apple saves a ton by not having that highly-engineered dual hinge swing arm on every imac. It is an amazing piece of balance and engineering but i have heard it really contributed to the cost of the sunflower. also the round motherboard was another issue that kept apple from being able price it in the range they are already at with the iMac G5.

yes, the new imac is plain. as a matter of fact it just melts away to nothing when you use it. i drooled over pictures of it since the expo and now barely even look at it when i use it. the screen draws all your attention, no distractions.

thats my take
  • Reply 23 of 29
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Aurora said the word chinamen and in a whole paragraph about how Apple is taking advantage of PRC slave labor and he's called a racist.

How is he a racist?

Personally I don't agree with him, I wouldn't recommend the new iMac to anyone, plus I don't care about who Apple pays to make their products cheaper.

I've assembled computers before, you don't need American labor for that.

Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. However, Aurora was sticking up for the chinese slave laborers...
  • Reply 24 of 29
    I really enjoyed this discussion.

I have/had many of the same concerns on the iMac.

Thanks all !

Dr. L
  • Reply 25 of 29
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by slughead

[B]Aurora said the word chinamen and in a whole paragraph about how Apple is taking advantage of PRC slave labor and he's called a racist.

How is he a racist?

While Aurora can refer to details of the product being made in China...I for one find the comment "those Chinamen" to be not only derogatory but sexist. There are plenty of women manufacturers. Besides, the US agenda for a long time has been to drive globalisation more than anyone else. I find it funny how some people can be so hypocritical, with the attitude "It's great as long as it doesn't hurt us". This is what globalisation is. If you don't like it...join Resistance!
  • Reply 26 of 29
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Can you say <off-topic>? Sheesh.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

APPLE CONSUMER COMPUTERS SUCK!!!!!!!

I can confirm that the same is true with laptops, A friend of mine got an ibook in the spring, when trying to tip a cd, it took nearly ~25 min(all settings factory default as is out of the box). that is way too long for a brand new unit in 2004, particularly when a 2 year old pc took ~10 min.

But the biggest problems apple has are:

1: stingy with ram - emac aside, at the current price points, ALL macs should have 512 and all PMs should have a gig

2: Bus: DONT HANDYCAP BUS ON THE LOW END PM!!!

3: vram - All macs 17 inches and larger (emac not withstanding) need 128 mb and all notebooks (excludeing 17 inch pb) need at least 64mb.

4: radion 9200/nvidea 5200 - enough said.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

1: stingy with ram - emac aside, at the current price points, ALL macs should have 512 and all PMs should have a gig

I donno about this. We all know they don't include enough RAM, but they'd rip us off if we were to pay for it anyway...

On the other hand, I paid $3000+ for my computer and it only came with 512MB RAM. That's just a big bag of horsepucky.

I don't want to even begin to THINK about the computer I could get for $3k on the PC side.