New Tiger builds reveal smart font collections, security additions, more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Who knows?

More to the point, who cares?

Having a specific app be Cocoa or Carbon is *much* less important than having the *APIs* be available natively in both. And that's the direction things are quickly going.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Is this build 7A169>?

Nope.

They are way past that now...
  • Reply 23 of 33
    7A269 is one of the latest I believe.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 5150

is it me or isn't it strange to see the beatles' "revolver" album cover artwork as one of the screensavers alongside U2's artwork. last time i checked, the artwork only came from music available through itunes. this seems odd for a company in material litigation with the beatles, IMO.

Well, this is just a guess, but I assumed that the screenshots came from Kaspar's (or someone associated to AI) computer, not Apple. So its on their disk (unless you expect all Mac users to shun Beatle's music until they stop their lawsuits).

Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

What really gets me is the fact that we still can't overlay screensavers. After Dark used to be able to do this... and with OpenGL you'd think it'd be so much easier. What am I missing? why doesn't Apple do this? Lame.

Well, not knowing what you mean by overlay, I can't say for sure, but if I had to guess, I'd say "Its a screen saver, who cares!". My screen is set to go to sleep within 5-10 minutes of inactivity, as I would hope most people's are (despite using less energy, it helps increase the longevity of the backlights of LCDs), so I couldn't really say what a screen saver does (and, in fact, if I'm at my computer, its likely the screen saver wouldn't be kicking in at all).

To answer another question: yes, screen savers are considered eye candy.

Quote:

Originally posted by grabberslasher

I don't know how I missed this before - Quicktime in Tiger is now a Cocoa app. It's been totally rewritten. Very cool!!!

Hopefully Finder is next.

Writing (or rewriting) in Cocoa is one of the most overblown and overemphasised task people seem to ask about. Rewriting the Finder in Cocoa will do very little to make it better, unless they actually re-code it so it performs better. Cocoa won't make it perform better. Re-working the code to make it more threaded (and less likely to stall waiting for this/that/other-thing) is much more important.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Heady

Any signs of font auto-activation in Font Book 2.0? It's pretty much a requirement for any design work involving type.

I wouldn't count on it. Apple's been getting killed lately from people for usurping thrid-party segments. And this is one huge third-party segment.

It would be nice, however, if they included:

- better internal support/hooks for activating fonts on the fly

- improved font file handling to keep people from causing errors just removing a font they weren't told not to remove.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Okay 269 is what I meant sorry. It's showing on the FTP I just haven't done any of the tiger installs in a while....
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Louzer,

While I totally agree screensavers are eye candy, and completely deny that it then has no market potential because of this; what I meant by overlay was using transparency/masking to play one screensaver over the other. Something obviously OpenGL run visuals would excel at.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:

Louzer,

While I totally agree screensavers are eye candy, and completely deny that it then has no market potential because of this; what I meant by overlay was using transparency/masking to play one screensaver over the other. Something obviously OpenGL run visuals would excel at.

Ok, but for what potential? Overlaying the 'beach' screen saver on top of the 'star field' screen saver doesn't seem to be much in the way of a market. Do you have any examples or know of screen savers that such a thing actually serves a purpose (I'm asking this on my assumption that screen savers, while useful back in the 80s/early 90s to prevent screen burn-in, do nothing now except look pretty).
  • Reply 29 of 33
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    How about a way to overlay one screensaver on another?

EVEN better How about a way to overlay current mail messages (in selected boxes), rss or atom feeds over any screensaver I have selected? Maybe IM message I got while away?

This would be nice.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Thank you webmail for making my point...

Or current iTunes track and album cover over slideshow etc.

Louzer, by the time After Dark and such really went bonzo in the 90's screen savers were actually fairly useless for the average new CRT. In reality, then, they were doing nothing but looking pretty. After Dark had an engine to overlay one atop the other... it was fairly useful in some instances and fun to play with in others. Especially for people that have two screensavers showing useful information or one showing it another with audible info... basically a way to combine the functionality of screensavers that only partially serve your needs.

Personally, I'd like to run a screen saver that runs a QT Movie with another overlayed that displays scrolling text. Useful from a Kiosk standpoint.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Hi,

Could someone who has Tiger, post what versions of iPhoto, iTunes, iDVD are included in Tiger? In other words, does the currently available version of Tiger include the same versions of applications as iLife 04 or as in Panther? Does Tiger also include Garageband?

If there's a link that gives this kind of detail, please post.

Thanks.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    For those interested in Tiger DVD Player app here are some screenshots
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

Mac OS X can do this since the day of 10.0

There's a screensaver that can display how many emails you have and overlay it on other screensaver. It haven't been updated in the longest time so I wouldn't expect it to work with Panther:

IconSticker r1

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13440

http://pekeler.org/software/IconSticker/ - (Source Code is available..)

There's also several more screensavers that can overlay over other screensavers but can't remember their name.

As for overlaying screensaver on Desktop, there's lot of screensavers that can do this