purchasing new imac advice: finance?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi folks. I am finally going to get a mac that isn't 2 years old at the time I purchase it :0) I want the new imac. I have immaculate credit and want to finance with a good rate. Is this a dumb idea, or can you recommend a great way (place) to finance...maybe where I can even upgrade at will?

TIA~

CMG

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by craftymacgirl

Hi folks. I am finally going to get a mac that isn't 2 years old at the time I purchase it :0) I want the new imac. I have immaculate credit and want to finance with a good rate. Is this a dumb idea, or can you recommend a great way (place) to finance...maybe where I can even upgrade at will?

TIA~

CMG

go to your bank and get a get a short term loan...or wait for your tax refund
  • Reply 2 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I think it's a bad idea to finance a computer. It's just basic personal finance that you shouldn't take a loan out on a depreciating item like a computer.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I think it's a bad idea to finance a computer. It's just basic personal finance that you shouldn't take a loan out on a depreciating item like a computer.

Great reasoning...thank you for posting, I was literaly just about to open an apple line of credit to get a G5, I an haveing a hard time waiting what should be ~another month or two...waitind is HARD....but it must be done...thanks
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Very true about financing a depreciating item BUT, most likely we are talking 1 year financing with an option to upgrade - not like a 5 year 30k car loan. I know some places offer this upgrade option. You finance/lease and get the latest macs as they come out. I used a 500mhz for years - even when 1 gigs were out...and now I am on an 800mhz (sad!). Getting the new imac to me would be like buying a 2010 car this year. If that makes sense. Anyway...I have no choice that this time to finance...just works out for me right now financially. I figure we have on HUGE appreciating asset now (a house in CA) so why not get this lil depreciating one. I will get a low interest loan from my bank...so thanks for suggesting that. I only need to borrow a grand.

CMG
  • Reply 5 of 11
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Build/buy a cheap PC. Search google for "Dell Outrageous Deals".

• Reply 6 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Banks give loans for computers? I've never heard of that.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Banks give loans for computers? I've never heard of that.

yes, the same type of loan that they give for vacations or to buy a $2000 car for your kids or to put in a swimming pool.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by craftymacgirl

Very true about financing a depreciating item BUT, most likely we are talking 1 year financing with an option to upgrade...I only need to borrow a grand.

Financing a computer is dumb. If it's only a grand, and you were going to finance over a year, surely you can just save what you need over the next few months. With a big house in Cali, you must pull in enough every month that saving $1000 won't take long, if you make it a priority. By financing you're just padding the bank's pockets. You might as well put your paycheck through a shredder. Unless you're so deep in CC debt and overburdened with mortage payments that every dollar is already budgeted. In which case, you need to take care of first things first, and not even think about accumulating more debt.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

yes, the same type of loan that they give for vacations or to buy a $2000 car for your kids or to put in a swimming pool.

What kind of rates do they give on that, 20%?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

What kind of rates do they give on that, 20%?

I got 5% on a signature loan, which can be used for any purchase I want...I put my stuff on credit for an entirely different reason, I opened a business, so waiting was not some I could do, and all the money needed was not in savings, about half was, so if you get a good rate and it is for a purpose then I see no problem in going through your bank to get what you need.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Yeah Towel, I pretty much decided it was dumb. I get dumb when it comes to purchases! I am going to sell my EMAC first and use the $ towards paying 100% of a new G5. Thanks all!