dual 2.5 and realistic noise expectations.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

Back in my day we had leaf blowers on our machines and we had to put them out in the snow or else they'd burn our house down.

And our laptops weighed more than we did AND WE LIKED IT!

yeah, I had a PII 450mhz IBM with 2 X Voodoo2 SLI (Both with fans) and then there was the CPU fan, and the Power Supply fan, all of which ran at one speed... high. I didn't bitch, cause at that time I had kick ass graphics. Apple has an OS that regulates as many as 10 fans inside these toweres and I dare say, they did a great job with it.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by UnixMac

Sure the G5 fans spin up for a few seconds once in a while, but if yours stay on for a long time, you're either taxing it to the max, or you need a firmware fix.

I do indeed like to tax my 2.5 to the max, that's why I don't open just one webpage at the time, but I load as much as 5 tabs in safari simultaneously. I should have known that would active all fans of course, silly me

I don't expect silence, just that the 2.5 is more silent than the 2.0, as promised by the Apple sales guy, that's really all I want. Everything's been tried in my case, it won't work. Thanks for the help and feedback though, it's good to know people do have machines that work as advertised. And as I said before - I love my mac when it works, it's amazing!
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

I do indeed like to tax my 2.5 to the max, that's why I don't open just one webpage at the time, but I load as much as 5 tabs in safari simultaneously. I should have known that would active all fans of course, silly me

I don't expect silence, just that the 2.5 is more silent than the 2.0, as promised by the Apple sales guy, that's really all I want. Everything's been tried in my case, it won't work. Thanks for the help and feedback though, it's good to know people do have machines that work as advertised. And as I said before - I love my mac when it works, it's amazing!

you deserve a solution, keep on it. Take your machine to the nearest apple store and compare it side by side with one of theirs.. let them see for themselves that it's not working "as promised"
  • Reply 24 of 40
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

yeah, I had a PII 450mhz IBM with 2 X Voodoo2 SLI (Both with fans) and then there was the CPU fan, and the Power Supply fan, all of which ran at one speed... high. I didn't bitch, cause at that time I had kick ass graphics. Apple has an OS that regulates as many as 10 fans inside these toweres and I dare say, they did a great job with it.

I have a PC with an AMD and an overclocked GeForce 6800 GT.

I don't even bother with thermostat controls. 4 fans (5 with PSU, 6 with nvidia, 7 with CPU).

If I stand behind the machine, it's like a blow-drier.. AND WE LIKED IT
  • Reply 25 of 40
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

the thing I'm surprised about is that possibly the 2.5's are simply overclocked 2.2's/2.3's, hence the heat problems.

Overclocked?

Chips can be clocked at whatever you want... any frequency whatsoever. The catch is, at what speed can they run without becoming unstable.

It's always been the case that higher frequencies generate more heat.

Yes, the dual 2.5s generate more heat than slower computesr. The first indication of this should have been the massive heat sinks and water cooling.

Yet, the G5s are not 'overclocked'.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

you deserve a solution, keep on it. Take your machine to the nearest apple store and compare it side by side with one of theirs.. let them see for themselves that it's not working "as promised"

Thanks. Already heard my processor will be replaced again next week, as well as my hd, which is making a lot of noise and just started making this ticking sound. I'm off making back-ups......

Perhaps the rest of this thread should be about people who have great working 2.5's - that would cheer me up
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Thanks. Already heard my processor will be replaced again next week, as well as my hd, which is making a lot of noise and just started making this ticking sound. I'm off making back-ups......

Perhaps the rest of this thread should be about people who have great working 2.5's - that would cheer me up

you'll be one of us soon... did you make that switchtomac site btw?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    I did and although I have loads of stuff to put on it, (I still save all pro-apple/unix info I come across) I don't have time for updating unfortunately. Perhaps I should just take a day or two off, and put the relevant info on there. Did the site mainly for myself really as the publisher I work for want to fase-out all Macs. So I wanted all the information I could get for a pro-apple lobby. I know the coding could be improved but I like it the way it is, it'll do.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

I did and although I have loads of stuff to put on it, (I still save all pro-apple/unix info I come across) I don't have time for updating unfortunately. Perhaps I should just take a day or two off, and put the relevant info on there. Did the site mainly for myself really as the publisher I work for want to fase-out all Macs. So I wanted all the information I could get for a pro-apple lobby. I know the coding could be improved but I like it the way it is, it'll do.

very nice, I like the design, very simple, yet elegant. You should tell Apple how much free marketing you're giving them, maybe they'll take your case more seriously (or faster results at least).
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Thanks very much, glad you point out my main objectives: simplicity and elegance. I enjoyed designing it very much. Btw, I see you're using a WD 74GB Raptor System Disk, I'm thinking of getting that as well. What's your experience with it speed and sound-wise? FYI, I want to use it for audio (digital performer and various softsynth)
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Thanks very much, glad you point out my main objectives: simplicity and elegance. I enjoyed designing it very much. Btw, I see you're using a WD 74GB Raptor System Disk, I'm thinking of getting that as well. What's your experience with it speed and sound-wise? FYI, I want to use it for audio (digital performer and various softsynth)

quiet as a church mouse, but you'll hear it a bit when it does a read or write (sounds like a typical HD read/write).. otherwise, I can't tell it's in there. I recommend it, fast!
  • Reply 32 of 40
    thanks for the quick reply. Let's see if I can't find one cheap then
  • Reply 33 of 40
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

quiet as a church mouse, but you'll hear it a bit when it does a read or write (sounds like a typical HD read/write).. otherwise, I can't tell it's in there. I recommend it, fast!

Just to add to that. I'm using it in an 1.2GHz upgraded Digital Audio. On idle it isn't loud at all, quiet even. During activity you _will_ notice its there. No screeching or yelling like the original Raptors but a normal head-move sound (or whatever a read-write consists of), just much louder. Not too bad in my G4 case, but its acoustically very different then the more open G5.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    I just got my 2.5 Powermac a couple of days ago and I am definitely surprised and disappointed by the loud fans that kick on and off. I would say the overall hum is not too bad, but there's one fan in particular that will start turning on and off in short intervals (it's doing so now) that is quite loud.

Certainly nobody could say with a staight face that it is a particularly quiet machine.

I purchased it for audio production so it's definitely a problem.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

I just got my 2.5 Powermac a couple of days ago and I am definitely surprised and disappointed by the loud fans that kick on and off. I would say the overall hum is not too bad, but there's one fan in particular that will start turning on and off in short intervals (it's doing so now) that is quite loud.

Certainly nobody could say with a staight face that it is a particularly quiet machine.

I purchased it for audio production so it's definitely a problem.

1. The loud fan is for the hard drives. go figure

2. unless your G5 is in the actual recording studio with the talent(s), which would be a first I believe, it shouldnt be an issue.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

1. The loud fan is for the hard drives. go figure

2. unless your G5 is in the actual recording studio with the talent(s), which would be a first I believe, it shouldnt be an issue.

1. I've had many computers. Most of them had hard drives. Not a single one of those computers had a fan even fractionally as audible as the fan kicking off and on inside the G5. "Go figure."

2. You don't have any idea what you are talking about. I said it was an issue, and it is an issue.

If you don't have anything but your complete ignorance and sarcasm to to contribute, go exercise your pie hole somewhere else.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:

1. I've had many computers. Most of them had hard drives. Not a single one of those computers had a fan even fractionally as audible as the fan kicking off and on inside the G5. "Go figure."

i was actually agreeing with you. it's stupid that hard drives should require cooling that loud.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i was actually agreeing with you. it's stupid that hard drives should require cooling that loud.

My bad.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

My bad.

At the risk of repeating my conversation with Slughead above let me say this much. While I appreciate that any sound can be an issue to an audio engineer/musician, I have to remind you of the laws of physics.

No computer of this computational power exits that is silent (or even "particularly quiet"), this is as a result of the computing power and heat associated with that. While a hard drive on it's own may not need a loud fan, combine that with 2 very high performance CPU's and a GPU along with RAM all in a space less than 2 cubic feet and you will need some MAJOR cooling. This is a physical fact you cannot escape.

Try a dual Xeon 2.8 one days (really) and see how loud it will be... I can tell you from experience, it's a lot louder. As OS X regulates the fans for when they are needed, while windows doesn't.

I fine the obsession with quietness an interesting phenomenon in the Mac community. I have surfed many a PC message board and never see this type of anger about the smallest amount of fan noise, or even moderate fan noise.

If you stand behind a PC box with the computing ability of this Mac, you may as well stand behind a blow drier. If the noise is an issue, get a silent desk fan, like that made by Casablanca, and aim it at the front of the G5, which will assist the internal fans with cooling and keep the over all speed down. Hide the box as far away as you can from other components as possible.

I have mine sitting literally 2 feet from my face, on top of my desk top and don't find it the least bit disturbing. When I need to work in FCP and want to additional noise, I have quality headphones I can wear.

Good luck, and please accept the realities of energy and heat conservation, otherwise get a Cube 500mhz G4 and be happy with the spinning beach ball.

Reality is that this G5 2.5GHz for it's computational ability (28.2 peak Gigaflops possible, and 17 Gflops sustained) is an AMAZING feat of engineering and cooling technology. Study the interior layout, it's second no nothing in the PC industry. Be happy.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    I would desperately hope the single and dual 1.8GHz is quieter then the 2.5GHz. At this point listening to owners compare processor temps with other G5 Power Macs these thing use a radiator not just to lessen fan noise but because the tremendous heat output these things throw.

With that said, typical PC cases don't have high-speed fans for the hard drives. A good 120mm intake, where most hard drives are mounted, does the job. Why the fan on the hard drives is so loud baffles me. I thought others described it as a firmware issue? Earlier G5s had a problem with the hard drive area becoming too hot and drives failing. Some users physically moved the temp sensor closer to the drives in order to move that fan more. (read Unsanity's Blog, one of the places I remember reading it).

Guess the design of the case, even with pre-defined thermal zones has a problem with heat trapping in the upper area back there. Or maybe Apple just decided to make that fan very sensitive to drive temps.

Quote:

Good luck, and please accept the realities of energy and heat conservation, otherwise get a Cube 500mhz G4 and be happy with the spinning beach ball.

Oh and I have a 450MHz Cube still kicking :P

I could couple it with a fanless 1.3GHz upgrade if need be. Too bad another fanless design hasn't come out of Cupertino since then. In time, with IBMs help I'm sure they will get their again.