Tiger and Office - do pasted images get to Windows?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Currently in MacOS X up to 10.3.x there is an issue which affects Office. Basically images which where copied from a Cocoa application and pasted into Word, Powerpoint, etc, show up as 'Quicktime needed' images on the PC side - you can read a thread on this issue.

What I would like to know is whether any changes have been made in MacOS X Tiger, that mean PICTs on the clipboard are no longer compressed? Thus visible on the PC side in a Word document?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    why the fuck don't they have quicktime!?

I don't think anyone could answer that considering it would probably be a problem with Microsoft Office, which has not made upgrades yet.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    The exact is text is:

"QuickTime and TIFF (LZW) decompressor are needed to see this picture"

As indicated in the referred thread it is not the lack of Quicktime that is the issue, since the systems tested had a full install of Quicktime. Office documents uses embeded data types and basically use what is put in them and it uses OLE to handle those embeds. Quicktime on the Windows side either does not provide an OLE container or fails to support compressed PICTs.

I highly recommend reading the thread referred to, since IMHO good analysis was made of the issue - also makes clear that there is different behaviour between Cocoa and Carbon apps.

I don't want to turn this current thread into a Office issue, since I am already aware that it is half the story, rather I would like to hear whether any changes in Tiger affects what gets pasted into Office.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

Currently in MacOS X up to 10.3.x there is an issue which affects Office. Basically images which where copied from a Cocoa application and pasted into Word, Powerpoint, etc, show up as 'Quicktime needed' images on the PC side - you can read a thread on this issue.

What I would like to know is whether any changes have been made in MacOS X Tiger, that mean PICTs on the clipboard are no longer compressed? Thus visible on the PC side in a Word document?

I really think if you want an intelligent discussion, you should not assign your readers homework. State your conclusions, give the link as a reference, and take it from there. That said, this is not a new issue. Neither is it a MacOS X 10.3.x issue. I have seen this problem since Office 98 running under MacOS 8. The problem is that Microsoft claims that its documents are cross-platform, but they are not entirely.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

The exact is text is:

"QuickTime and TIFF (LZW) decompressor are needed to see this picture"

The only time this had happened to me was pasting into PowerPoint 2004 in Panther (I would assume that Word uses the same method of handling pasted graphics). Any graphic that I pasted in showed up properly in Powerpoint for Windows, but once I did anything to that graphic to alter it (like lighten or darken etc.) then I'd get the quicktime error.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Only time I've seen this is copying things from pdfs to Word files and the easiest workaround I found was just to use Acrobat or Reader.