Can u blow-out the internal speakers on a G5 iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just wondering if I leave it cranked up to max volume if it will damage them (I'm obssesed today with U2's Vertigo, which I've been playing really loudly). Are the internal speakers replaceable? I didn't see anything on Apple's website about this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I don't know. Try it for a day or so and let us know.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 15
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    the internal speakers .. technically you should buy a new midplane to replace the blown out ones.

if you want a loud volume out of the imac, get airport express and use external speakers to play the music. you don't want to blow out the internal speakers.

by the way, having serviced imacs, so far haven't seen even one blown speaker case.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I wouldn't worry. Since Apple supplies the amp that feeds the speakers, I would bet that they picked one within the power specifications of the speakers it drives.

So, that pretty much rules out a Back-to-the-Future-esque blow out. As for constant wear and tear having an adverse affect on your speaker cones, I think you should be OK. That usually takes years of speaker abuse to accomplish.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

So, that pretty much rules out a Back-to-the-Future-esque blow out. As for constant wear and tear having an adverse affect on your speaker cones, I think you should be OK. That usually takes years of speaker abuse to accomplish.

Or one 3 hour session of trying to be louder than the drummer. But those weren't iMac speakers hooked up to my amp that time.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Or one 3 hour session of trying to be louder than the drummer. But those weren't iMac speakers hooked up to my amp that time.

When you buy my all-digital guitar & amp system, you won't have this problem. Of course, it's just a few pages of ideas in a notebook right now, but I know what I'm doing.

Moving on, I can assure you that in the manual for your amp it mentioned somewhere that you shouldn't crank it all the way with the speaker(s) you were using.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

I wouldn't worry. Since Apple supplies the amp that feeds the speakers, I would bet that they picked one within the power specifications of the speakers it drives.

Thanks. I now feel free to abuse my eardrums without worrying about replacing the speakers.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

When you buy my all-digital guitar & amp system, you won't have this problem. Of course, it's just a few pages of ideas in a notebook right now, but I know what I'm doing.

Moving on, I can assure you that in the manual for your amp it mentioned somewhere that you shouldn't crank it all the way with the speaker(s) you were using.

Nah, I think my 580W amp and 2x10 & 1x15 will be more than I'll ever need. If I ever went serious digital, I'd probably grap an Euphonic Audio iAmp800 amp. That and a couple of Eden d410xlts and I'd be in constant heaven.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

if you want a loud volume out of the imac, get airport express and use external speakers to play the music.

Do I need Airport Express in order to connect external speakers?

- T.I.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Installer

Do I need Airport Express in order to connect external speakers?

- T.I.

No, just run a cord from your headphone jack to your speakers/stereo. I do this all the time. My iMac & PowerBook are connected to my Altec Lansing computer speaker setup & my iPod connects up to my Technics home stereo.

Just make sure to get the right cord & you'll be all set.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    enderender Posts: 353member
    The iMac has optical audio out, too. I hadn't ever seen it on the specs page, and just barely noticed the little "optical" printed on the back of the machine next to the audio port while I was setting up my girlfriend's new 20".

The thing sounds absolutely awesome with the optical out hooked to a creative labs decoder, and that into my Klipsch 5.1 Ultras

Surround sound is way cooler than stereo!

-Ender
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I hear ya, my Technics does Pro-Logic surround sound. I don't have digital surround yet though but I'm still quite happy with the Pro-Logic for my purposes.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

You have to be careful about going to 11.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

No, just run a cord from your headphone jack to your speakers/stereo. I do this all the time. My iMac & PowerBook are connected to my Altec Lansing computer speaker setup & my iPod connects up to my Technics home stereo.

Just make sure to get the right cord & you'll be all set.

Thanks ever so, PBG4 Dude.

- T.I.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Installer

Thanks ever so, PBG4 Dude.

- T.I.

No problemo Dude.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

You have to be careful about going to 11.

Heck with 2 distorted guitarists and a monkey-on-meth for a drummer, I can almost hear myself if I turn up to 11!