iMac G5 vs PowerMac G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all,

yesterday I was in a store that sells Apple computers (in Italy). I was asking about the new iMac's... But they also had PowerMac's, of course. While asking about prices I noticed that the iMac 17" costs EXACTLY the same as the basic PowerMac (1.8Ghz Single).

I wonder how is it possible that the iMac with the LCD included can be the same price as the PowerMac (without LCD). I know that the PowerMac is expandable and so on, but still sounds strange.

Also, the guy at the shop comes out with "oh, yes, the iMac is 32bit, not 64. I don't think it's written anywhere but that's how it is".

Can anybody shed some light, please?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    it's true that both cost the same, their speed are almost identical too, look the benchmarks Barefeats. Both have 64 bits proccesors and the same amount of Ram, with the iMac you get a very nice LCD monitor, but with the powermac you get more expansion room for PCI cards, more RAM, HD space, better graphic card if you want to upgrade it, you can't upgrade the iMac graphic card and by the way, that geforce 5200 is not a very good graphic card. Anyway if you want to do basic stuff, like internet, office suites, some light graphic or video work and casual game get the iMac, is a very nice computer for the price, but if you need more power, have space in yor desk and more money, get a powermac with a better graphic card.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by mith

Also, the guy at the shop comes out with "oh, yes, the iMac is 32bit, not 64. I don't think it's written anywhere but that's how it is".

Yet another example of why you should NEVER take anything a salesperson tells you at face-value (not just about macs... Wintel salesmaen do the same things)

You'll find that the G5 iMac is definitely a 64 bit processor, however the OS and all apps are all 32 bit programs. So there's currently no real advantage to the 64 bit-ness.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mith

The guy could not be more wrong on that. See here why. Unless it was some of the older Helianthus models, which have a G4 processor.