Mac OS X: obsolete with every upgrade - why is it allowed?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    rara Posts: 623member
    At least update to the latest version of 10.1. If you can download shareware you can certainly download the updates.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Morgoth

I don't WANT to upgrade my system, I'm happy with OS 10.1.2 - it works fine.

Yes you do, and no it doesn't. 10.1 is just barely usable. 10.3 is a huge leap forward in performance and functionality, and is easily worth the $130.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3.1416

10.3... is easily worth the $130.

True. . . .except that you can get it for $50
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Upgrades should be very strategic.

For example buying panther now would be very stupid, but when Tiger comes out you'll be set for at least a year.....
  • Reply 25 of 35
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackwind212

Upgrades should be very strategic.

For example buying panther now would be very stupid, but when Tiger comes out you'll be set for at least a year.....

I don't know about that, if the original poster is being truthful then it just might be worth it to upgrade to 10.3, especially if the programs he/she wants aren't available / can't run on 10.1.x.

I still don't understand why they haven't updated to the latest version of 10.1 though.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I don't know about that, if the original poster is being truthful then it just might be worth it to upgrade to 10.3, especially if the programs he/she wants aren't available / can't run on 10.1.x.

I still don't understand why they haven't updated to the latest version of 10.1 though.

He might not have easy access to the internet with his computer.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

He might not have easy access to the internet with his computer.

He/she's got access to try and download shareware and such. I do understand your point though.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    10.1? Not that old? How about 2 or more years old....

It's stale. Upgrade stop being such a piker. $130/year should be in your computer budget. If you can't budget $12/month your computer then you have no business owning one... Computers are very expensive. deal with it.

Technology is really only useful when it evolves, if your using software that requires newier versions stick with your old software or upgrade.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

He/she's got access to try and download shareware and such. I do understand your point though.

Shareware might fit on a floppy...
  • Reply 30 of 35
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    What's a floppy?

• Reply 31 of 35
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    If you've survived with 10.1 when wait a few months until Tiger is out early next year (Q1 or Q2 2005.

I doubt you wil see a new release after tiger until later 2007 or early 2008.

Dobby.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    One other point:

The speed and stability improvement of OS X 10.2 Jaguar are great over 10.1. It was a worthy upgrade (I didn't like v 10.1). Panther is even Better: The substantially improved user interface speed and responsiveness of 10.3 Panther, as well as a much more stable Finder in Panther makes it an even more worthy upgrade. Depending on your machine, Panther could make OS X seem to 'scream' compared to early 10.1 versions. In my experience 10.3 is very stable and useable on my daughter's 'gumdrop' iMac G3/600.

So, as they suggest here, it is worth supporting Apple and upgrading your 2 or 3 year old system to get more speed, stability and functionality.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    rara Posts: 623member
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you have 'net access then you have no excuse for not upgrading to the latest version of 10.1.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

What's a floppy?

You know, it's the little thing that someone had said he would shove into Kim's a$$, when she said that the iMac G4 lacks in storage capabilities (or something like that), since it has not a floppy drive .
  • Reply 35 of 35
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

What's a floppy?

Believe it or not, my sister just got an iBook, her first Mac, and she had everything backed up to floppy. She bought it without relizing it doesn't come with one. Had to have my dad use his Dell to copy her floppies to his computer and burn a CD for her. I was just as shocked as you are.