iPhoto printing

rokrok
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
okay, i'll be the first to admit this might belong in the Genius Bar, but if it's a known issue, then chalk it up to a fix i want in the next version of iPhoto. namely, printing, and the horrendous speed thereof. general printing is okay, but i tried to do a quick contact sheet for a colleague yesterday, and each page of four images took 5-7 minutes to print. would have tied up the printer for the better part of an hour if i didn't cancel it.

instead, i took the photos over to photoshop and let it do its contact sheet magic. sure, i got a bunch of psd's i had to spool by hand, but the pages printed off in maybe 30 seconds each.

is printign speed a known issue in iPhoto 4 still? and, if so, will it be addressed in an upcoming release?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Hm, well, no one has come along with a good answer, and I don't have a good one either. I haven't really noticed if iPhoto's printing is slower than other means myself. Have you checked your Print setup to make sure it's configured specifically for your printer instead of any printer? Maybe not having your printer and paper set up before you print means that the computer has to "talk" to the printer more, or has to check stuff it would otherwise know about the printer. Have you checked the print settings maybe using the advanced options in the print dialog? I just wonder if iPhoto defaults to the highest quality settings and Photoshop and others do not. That might explain a big slowdown, but that idea seems a bit simple.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Hm, well, no one has come along with a good answer, and I don't have a good one either. I haven't really noticed if iPhoto's printing is slower than other means myself. Have you checked your Print setup to make sure it's configured specifically for your printer instead of any printer? Maybe not having your printer and paper set up before you print means that the computer has to "talk" to the printer more, or has to check stuff it would otherwise know about the printer. Have you checked the print settings maybe using the advanced options in the print dialog? I just wonder if iPhoto defaults to the highest quality settings and Photoshop and others do not. That might explain a big slowdown, but that idea seems a bit simple.

one thing i haven't tried (hmmm, this IS starting to sound like a genius bar thread after all) is to use the contact sheet generator in iPhoto to make PDFs and see what their size is like. i have heard often that mac os x's pdfs are generally fatter than comparable pdfs generated out of any other program. perhaps it's a system-wide pdf bloat?