iPhoto Library

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So here is my question. I just put all of my photos on an external drive for backup. But it seems that the computer has filed them away in strangly named files. For example photos/iphotolibrary/2004/11/23 and then you'll have like 6 photos and matching thumbnails. Is there any way to make this a bit more organized without confusing the computer? I tried before and it could never find any of the pictures. It's just impossible to find things with such random numerical file names

Little help please

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 206amphib

So here is my question. I just put all of my photos on an external drive for backup. But it seems that the computer has filed them away in strangly named files. For example photos/iphotolibrary/2004/11/23 and then you'll have like 6 photos and matching thumbnails. Is there any way to make this a bit more organized without confusing the computer? I tried before and it could never find any of the pictures. It's just impossible to find things with such random numerical file names

Little help please

You're kidding, right? There is nothing random about the naming of your picture files or the folders they are stored in. Please tell me that you understand that your example of "/2004/11/23" is today's date. Please tell me that you understand that iPhoto's directory structure is based on the datestamp on your photographics. Please, please, please tell me that you understand that your photographs taken tomorrow will be stored in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/2004/11/24/ and those taken on Christmas Day will be stored in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/2004/12/25/.

Now that you have convinced me that you completely understand the directory structure of your iPhoto library, you should have no trouble convincing me that you are fully aware that there is nothing random about your pictures' file names. Yes, I have to agree with you. I must admit that each camera manufacturer names its pictures using a scheme based on the date and sequence number of the photograph. I bow to your superior intelligence. You make it seem so simple that even a child can understand it.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Allow me to add my mantra/rant:

Go into iPhoto to organize your pictures. That's what the app is for!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Hey Mr. Me-

You sound like a really nice guy! I am not specifically new to macs, and I can put 2 and 2 together to figure that out. My question was if there is anyway to rename that or make it more organized. Clearly I can use iPhoto to find what I want. You just wasted 2 paragraphs of text proving that you can't use your vast expertise to help anyone out, just make them feel stupid.....

Everyone has to start somewhere....

I'm trying....
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

and those taken on Christmas Day will be stored in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/2004/12/25/.

Er... 2004/12/24 / , no?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

iPhoto does organize all photos by date, and there's no way to change that. What you can do when you backup, however, is to use the iPhoto "export" function to copy your photos to your backup drive or folder, rather than copying them from the finder. You can do this by album, if you like.

Right so, but dragging the entire iPhoto library to an external HD is just okay.

He asked for simple backup - as far as i understood.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

No. Or am I confused?

Christmas Eve is 12/24.

Christmas Day is 12/25.

Did I miss something?

Nope. Me sorry, now i see