Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.6 Update

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    It is possible Safari responds better to newer computers since I have only tested Firefox on my new one.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    Thought everything was okay after doing the second, larger update--but now GarageBand won't come up at all.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Hmm, perhaps your machine is fast enough to hide the speed differences. Many people say Firefox is much faster than Safari. I would say it is noticeably faster since I have not exact numbers to compare and the speed difference perception, when measured in a few, perhaps a couple, of seconds, can be very subjective.

FireFox is good, but still a bit clumsy with the Address Bar, I think. It doesn't honour OS X text-handling behavior as closely as I hoped. Just feels a bit clunky.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolfactor

FireFox is good, but still a bit clumsy with the Address Bar, I think. It doesn't honour OS X text-handling behavior as closely as I hoped. Just feels a bit clunky.

In Firefox's defence an OS X optimised version is still to come.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    Are there any bluetooth enhancements? My Apple Wireless Mouse hasn't disconnected ever since I got 10.3.6. It used to disconnect, say, about once a week, and I have to plug in a wired mouse to get it to reconnect...
  • Reply 66 of 71
    I upgraded to 10.3.6 and now iPhoto, iMovie, and QuickTime won't launch. I managed to download a new copy of QuickTime and get it to work, but iPhoto and iMovie still don't work.

This is not an update. This is an upcrap.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    First report I've heard like that... what's your Console say when you try and launch them? (Launch /Applications/Utilities/Console to view the console logs in real time.)
  • Reply 68 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

In Firefox's defence an OS X optimised version is still to come.

Do you mean Camino?
  • Reply 69 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

Do you mean Camino?

No, the next version of Firefox is going to be optimized for OS X, just as Telomar said.

Quote:

On the Mac side of things, Goodger said Firefox 1.0 uses Apple's QuickDraw technology to draw to the screen, while the Windows version uses GDI. However, he said the next big move for the Mac version of Firefox would be away from QuickDraw.

QuickDraw, which Apple created in 1984, was the basis for 2D screen presentation in the Mac OS. With the advent of Mac OS X, Apple moved away from QuickDraw to its PDF-based Quartz rendering system, which is now incorporated in the Core Graphics architecture of Mac OS X.

"We were most focused on the feature set and user interface," Goodger said. "Maybe not for the next couple of months, but we plan to move Firefox" to the more modern rendering system. Firefox's reliance on QuickDraw, he said, is due to the fact that the low-level code of Firefox comes from Mozilla's Netscape 6 and 7 projects, which was largely coded in the years 1999 to 2001 for the Mac OS 9 operating system.

Source: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1723603,00.asp
  • Reply 70 of 71
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

First report I've heard like that... what's your Console say when you try and launch them? (Launch /Applications/Utilities/Console to view the console logs in real time.)

This is what I get when I try to open iMovie:

== Sat Nov 27 2004 ===== 18:07:08 US/Pacific =====

dyld: /Applications/iMovie.app/Contents/MacOS/iMovie truncated or malformed library: /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetoothUI.framework/Versions/A/IOBluetoothUI (file is empty)

I get nothing for iPhoto, and QuickTime is working fine.

I did repair permissions before and after I installed, and yes, tonton, I did restart.

Thanks for your input guys.